Euphorbia mammillaris snapped in half

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
anniedee

Euphorbia mammillaris snapped in half

Post by anniedee »

Hello all! I recently ordered a Euphorbia mammillaris (corn cob cactus), but when I opened it after it arrived I was devastated to find that it had snapped during shipment. I was offered a refund/replacement, but that still leaves me with a sad cactus. Is there any way I can save him? Maybe through grafting or propagation? I’ve spent the past few hours trying to find a solution, but there are so many options out there. I would really appreciate any suggestions for how best to go about saving this little guy (if at all possible). Thanks in advance!
Attachments
C99218E4-8F8E-4882-8B77-5AF668EBB299.jpeg
C99218E4-8F8E-4882-8B77-5AF668EBB299.jpeg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
greenknight

Re: Euphorbia mammillaris snapped in half

Post by greenknight »

They're said to propagate easily from cuttings, you should be able to root the broken-off top. Go ahead and pot the bottom part, too, it will probably grow a new top.
Spence :mrgreen:
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

In my experience Euphorbias root really easily. Just let it dry for a while, and place it in a slightly moist substrate, and on the warm side. should reroot quickly. Trying to graft this sounds like a lot of unneccesary effort.
anniedee

Post by anniedee »

Thank you both!! I’ve set both parts aside to dry and I will put the top part in a pot once it has calloused over- hopefully it will root! Thank you again!! :)
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

anniedee wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:32 am Thank you both!! I’ve set both parts aside to dry and I will put the top part in a pot once it has calloused over- hopefully it will root! Thank you again!! :)
Oh yeah one thing, when I said substrate, I meant something like perlite or pumice, pure then, not regular soil. That would be too risky for rot. Though there's other way to root plants, like using the final substrate you aim for and just give very light waterings in the beginning.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I wouldn't worry about drying out the bottom part with the roots on it, since you won't be burying the part with the break in that case. The roots need some water to keep them alive - though it won't be using much water until it grows a new top (we hope).

The top, which is to be rooted, needs to callus over of course. It shouldn't take long, it's not a large wound surface.
Spence :mrgreen:
anniedee

Post by anniedee »

This is all so incredibly helpful!!
Jangaudi - I really appreciate the advice! I will definitely be investing in some perlite or pumice.
Greenknight - fingers crossed the bottom part grows a new top! I’ll be sure to water it when necessary. The top half has already dried up quite a bit- hopefully by the end of this week it will be calloused enough to set up in a pot.
Thank you both for all of your help!! I really, really appreciate it!