Unhappy snakeplants? I didn't even know that was possible!

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Brontosaurus

Unhappy snakeplants? I didn't even know that was possible!

Post by Brontosaurus »

The tips of the leaves on the snakeplants we have in our office are all turning brown. I'm not super familiar with them but I haven't had this problem before. We live in a humid environment and it's really difficult to keep mold from growing in the pots (if you have advice about how to stop that, please let me know). What could be causing this? Is it bad? If so, how can I fix it?
Attachments
IMG_20210422_111619.jpg
IMG_20210422_111619.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
anttisepp

Re: Unhappy snakeplants? I didn't even know that was possible!

Post by anttisepp »

Cut dead tissue away. Move plant to the window.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

And maybe less watering. I have a big specimen in our master bath right next to a window. It bloomed last year. Took a few pics ,then read up on it some .

Apparently, having one bloom is better than a Powerball Lottery winning ticket...and rarer! They bloom once every several decades. I won!
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Steve-0 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 pm Apparently, having one bloom is better than a Powerball Lottery winning ticket...and rarer! They bloom once every several decades. I won!
The only time I have seen these flower was in an office. I found three Sansevieria in an office I temped at that had been neglected for years. They were sitting on a shelf above a radiator in an south-facing window. They had not been watered for a long time. They were small, pale yellow and dusty. I brought in a thermometer and the temperature at the roots was up to 40°C (104°F) when the radiators were on, all day. So I watered them a lot and fed them a bit. They put on loads of beautiful new dark green and gorgeously-patterned leaves very fast. After two months they all flowered.

Most people don't keep them above 35°C constantly, so the flowers are rare. They come from Central Africa, they like heat and light.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Here they are. May 3,2020 blooming week.
Attachments
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (87.93 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (102.32 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
s3.jpg
s3.jpg (82.65 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Did they smell good? The ones in the office started smelling just about an hour before the time I left for home.
Tyrfing

Post by Tyrfing »

Blooming Sansevierias are not pure joy. Those flowers are a sticky mess. Also, I think the spike is terminal. Meaning that the rosette will stop growing, but will/might send out new offsprings.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Tyrfing wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:18 am Blooming Sansevierias are not pure joy. Those flowers are a sticky mess. Also, I think the spike is terminal. Meaning that the rosette will stop growing, but will/might send out new offsprings.
I have a S.cylindrica that bloomed a few years ago. Lovely flowers and smell but as you say, the rosette with the flowerspike stopped growing. It’s still alive though. Several new offsprings are growing around it.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi Brontosaurus,
about your original question: What kind of soil does your office plant have? Is it pure potting soil, possibly with peat? -- Then I would understand the plant being unhappy & moss or mold growing with it.
I would simply ignore the mold. It might just have come with the soil; at our's it often does. After a year or so it should be gone.

We always used potting soil for snakepants, without peat, added a bit of sand or foamed clay or such. Ours flowered each year on a regular basis.
Then: Warm, more light, not too dry, no wet feet, bit of care.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.