Cono seedling watering schedule during spring/summer

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
MBM7

Cono seedling watering schedule during spring/summer

Post by MBM7 »

Hey guys,

Last march I sowed a bunch of lithops and conophytum. Overall the lithops have done well, most of them are on their second pair of adult leaves. The conos have grown more slowly, the biggest are only on their first pair of adult leaves. My question is how I should water the little cono seedlings now that their adult brethren would be preparing for summer dormancy. It seems that the bigger cono seedlings, those that already have their adult leaves, have so far not begun shriveling or developing a papery sheath. In contrast some of the smaller seedlings without their adult leaves have rapidly developed a papery sheath now that the weather has warmed up. I've been watering all of the cono seedlings on the same schedule, about once a week give or take.

The biggest cono seedlings are only about 5mm at this point. Let me know your thoughts!
Jangaudi

Re: Cono seedling watering schedule during spring/summer

Post by Jangaudi »

Yeah it is a tricky period ! I'd keep them on the cool side as long as possible and keep watering lightly until the heat comes in. If they are going into summer rest already now, I'd stop watering, or stick to some light misting. And keep them shaded during the summer. And reverse that after summer, try get them on the cool side early in the fall, and start the light watering. You'd be surprised how tiny conos that seem to have shriveled and died, reappear in the fall. But the first summer is tough on them ;)