Tillandsia growers- advice wanted :)

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Mrs.Green

Tillandsia growers- advice wanted :)

Post by Mrs.Green »

I have a fishtank with ferns, mosses and several other humidity loving species. I am thinking of trying a couple of Tillandsias in this set-up too. I have read a lot about growing Tillandsias but personal experience would be helpful, since I am still a bit unsure of which species would have the best chances in my tank.

The tank gets heavily misted once or twice every day, so species who grows in dryer areas would probably don’t like that. I plan to
attach the plants to dead twigs in the tank, I wasn’t planning on taking the plants out of the tank to water them. But its quite often mentioned that its important to see to that water don’t remain in the leafcorners after watering/misting the plants.

That would be almost impossible to achive in this setup, if I don’t hang the plants upside-down.. So, how relevant is this?

These are the species available to me here in Norway, which would be the best choice? ( plants that get big, isn’t my first choice, the tank is already pretty crowded) . Tillandsia bulbosa, capitata red, pruinosa, magnusiana, ionantha ( green) , juncea, ‘Bailey’, schiedeana, caput-medusaea and xerographica.

Any help given would be much appreciated :)
Aiko

Re: Tillandsia growers- advice wanted :)

Post by Aiko »

I do have some Tillandsias, of which some I have for two years already. But I am not giving you advice. I still don't really know what I am doing and how to take care of them properly. I am happy I still have a few going and one flowering in 2020. I just keep doing what I have been doing for the past two years and hope for the best in the coming ten years if they are still with me. By then I can give you advice!
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

They should be rather easy actually provided they get enough humidity. I've read some growing tips in the past where people say it's a good thing to soak your tillandsia in a bowl of luke warm water once every so often, and you could add some diluted fertilizer during the growing season, but I think regular misting would also fix that.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

I'm with Aiko on this. I have a few and they are located in our master bath in seashells like - Conch, Whelk and Murex. I'm pretty sure mine are all ionantha. One bloomed. They have stayed small while I expected growth. So I think ionantha would do well in your tank.
I mist them daily and 'drown' them in rainwater for hours every couple of weeks. The upside down draining part seems to be protocol for their health. They can be shaken to remove copious amount of water down inside the leaves. Or tip them over on a towel. The past few months have seen three of them die. The one that bloomed and two smaller ones. Guessing their ages are similar, I presumed the life span was up. I also live in a high mountain arid desert climate. So not the best for air plants, bromeliads, epiphytes, mosses, etc. I tried a few. Spanish Moss lasts only a few months under my care...no matter the amount of misting. :? Just like fish on land or Polar Bears on the Serengeti Plains. So I'm sticking with desert plants. :D
Attachments
The largest one I had.
The largest one I had.
EFFECTS (2).jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

I have a few dozen Tillandsias that I have hanging in front of a window. I typically soak them once a week and have never tried misting, but out of the ones you mentioned I've had the easiest time with is T. ionantha. In addition, it's one of the smaller options on that list, capitata, juncea, baileyi, schiedeana, caput-medusae, and xerographica can get relatively large. caput-medusae also has a problem of holding onto pockets of water between the leaves.

Do note that each Tillandsia head blooms once then stops growing (monocarpic?) but future growth does happen in the form of offsets so don't throw them out. With time you can get clumps!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you very much for your replies everyone! :) I will try T. ionantha in the tank and see how well that goes, before trying other species . This indoor greenhouse experiment is so far very rewarding and I wish I could set up a much larger one :D But I do have several smaller tanks and I am very tempted to set up at least one or two.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I have been growing them for many years and have about 90 species. Most don't need much humidity. The silver ones need less than the green ones.
bulbosa and pruinosa like water. The rest of your list not so much. Xerographica likes it hot and dry. Air movement is very important for long term health. Almost all will do well hanging over your cacti
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I keep mine from about now until November hanging in my greenhouse. It will be warm in the greenhouse, but as they are hanging about a meter away from an open door when it is warm, there is still a lot of fresh air for them. I have them hanging on a rope on the edge of the table, partly in shade and partly in the sun later on the day.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you MikeInOz and Aiko :)

Hm..the lack of air movement in the tank could be a problem I suspect. I have to think about this, since the whole point ( for me) is growing a few Tillandsias in the tank, not out of it.

Some years ago I got hold of a lump of T.usneoides and tried to grow it indoors with no success. I suspect the air was to dry and it should have been watered more often( submersed). To my understanding it isn’t a easy species to grow indoors.