Producing cacti offsets with coring

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
The_Nikon_Guy

Producing cacti offsets with coring

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

In two of my earlier posts dealing with 6-BAP and hydroponically saved cactus (links below), I had discussed my method of firstly saving an old shrivelled Gymnocalycium from dying using hydroponics and then attempting to force it to generate offsets using 6-BAP.

Using 6-BAP with Lanolin to induce offsets: https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=45850

Salvaging a Gymnocalycium mihanovichii using hydroponics: https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 25&t=45731

This particular gymno, though seemingly fine at the time of transferring it out of hydroponics and into soil, has started shrivelling again and this time I'm not so confident about its survival unless I transfer it back into hydroponics - something I do not want to do as I believe cacti should be grown in soil and not water.

I decided to force it to create offsets with not only more 6-BAP, but as an added incentive, to core out its apical merstem tissue (growth tip at the top) and virtually guarantee offsetting. 6-BAP is quite successfull in inducing offsetting from the meristem tissue in aerioles - but I need to be certain that I can get a couple or so offsets before she goes into cactus heaven.

I used a retractable blade knife (suitable sterilized using methylated spirits) to slice along each rib towards the centre of the cactus growth tip at a slightly downward angle. I then used a sterilized craft knife to gently core out a little more of the meristem tissue.

Here are some photos of the end process - sorry, next time I'll try and post a video on YouTube.
gymno_cored_02.jpg
gymno_cored_02.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
gymno_cored_01.jpg
gymno_cored_01.jpg (115.78 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Stay tuned, I'll be updating this space.
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...