Can I safely grow ariocarpus and lophophora in this setup? (in summertime in Belgium)

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
frederickb88

Can I safely grow ariocarpus and lophophora in this setup? (in summertime in Belgium)

Post by frederickb88 »

I have a decent ariocarpus and loph collection going and I am planning on buying this setup since I don't have the funds for a 'real' greenhouse since I just moved to a new house...

Do you guys think it is safe to place my potted lophs and ariocarpus in this thing? It will be only used in the summertime in Belgium. The plants are now in the house till spring. In summer the trug will receive sun for the most part of the day. I haven't sorted out if I should fill the tub with filtersand or just place planks where I put my potted cacti on.

I have no idea how humid or hot this setup would get in the summer... My plan is to always keep the windows open for +/- 10 cm. I would do this to avoid rain coming in and to keep airflow going.

What do you guys think? Is it safe? I really don't want to kill my collection :?:
Attachments
Knipsel.jpg
Knipsel.jpg (44.46 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
Aiko

Re: Can I safely grow ariocarpus and lophophora in this setup? (in summertime in Belgium)

Post by Aiko »

Looks fine, assuming there will be no water dripping in.

You should be able to put the plants inside starting somewhere from the middle to late March, when the most severe frost has passed. Lophophoras and Ariocarpus can take a frost, so there should be not worry about the occasional -3C following. Just keep them inside until early December, when some severe frost might start to come again. Especially Ariocarpus fissuratus is hardy. It should be fine keeping it out (but dry, so sheltered from rain and snow) throughout the year. Even when the temperatures hit -15C as in this week (at least up here, I assume Belgium will not be much different) this week.

I would advice to also keep the windows open all the time, when it is cold less than when it is warm. I would also advice not to fill it with sand. Just something to keep the plants elevated and into direct sunlight is best. You don't want sand weighing your structure down and holding on to unneeded moisture or potential housing of bugs and such.
frederickb88

Re: Can I safely grow ariocarpus and lophophora in this setup? (in summertime in Belgium)

Post by frederickb88 »

Aiko wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:36 pm Looks fine, assuming there will be no water dripping in.

You should be able to put the plants inside starting somewhere from the middle to late March, when the most severe frost has passed. Lophophoras and Ariocarpus can take a frost, so there should be not worry about the occasional -3C following. Just keep them inside until early December, when some severe frost might start to come again. Especially Ariocarpus fissuratus is hardy. It should be fine keeping it out (but dry, so sheltered from rain and snow) throughout the year. Even when the temperatures hit -15C as in this week (at least up here, I assume Belgium will not be much different) this week.
Do you think the plants can handle the temperature if it stands in the sun for most of the day? I've read of plants frying in some smaller greenhouses with no sun protection and the dome only measures 1,8 m x 0,76 m x 0,66 m (L x W x H)...

Also, would it be suggested to fill up the trug with sand or just keep it empty and put a 'shelf' inside?
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

frederickb88 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:41 pm

Do you think the plants can handle the temperature if it stands in the sun for most of the day? I've read of plants frying in some smaller greenhouses with no sun protection and the dome only measures 1,8 m x 0,76 m x 0,66 m (L x W x H)...

Yes, full sun on a small greenhouse will give high temperatures, like 50 + C easily. I would advise to keep close track of that during spring already, and leave it open during the summer when full sun is out, or cover it with a shading cloth. Will be needed.