Glass jar sowing, next batch

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Jangaudi

Glass jar sowing, next batch

Post by Jangaudi »

After some successful batches sown in glass jars, I’ve been sowing a new load this winter, sticking to the same method, and hoping it will do as good as before. I’ve used both plastic containers and glass jars before, and for some reason I think the jars do better. Not entirely sure why but some possible reasons could be :
- Plastic containers are less rigid, and I think when moving them around, the soil sags a bit at the bottom, and this could disturb the tender roots.
- When the plastic containers get condensed on the inside it’s very hard to actually see what’s going on inside, so I end up opening them up to see if everything is ok, when I probably should not.
- With plastic containers and glass jars alike, I often notice, how the seedlings close to the edge are doing better than the ones in the center, this could be because of the condensation trickling down on the edges. My plastic containers are quite a bit larger than the glass jars, so this could amplify the effect.

I’m planning to leave them inside for longer then normally expecting the humidity inside lowering slowly over time as the seedlings get larger, and then giving them a dry rest next winter….well expect for the slow growing ones which I will keep inside even longer. This season I’ve got following on the list in jars so let’s see how it goes . I’ll update when needed ;)

Ariocarpus scaphrarostrus
Aztekium ritteri
Blossfeldia mizqueana
Copiapoa cinerea v.columna alba
Echinocereus reichenbachii
Echinocereus rigidissimus ssp. rubrispinus
Frailea buenekeri
Lophophora Williamsii
Mammilaria hernandezii
Matucana madisoniorum
Notocactus buiningii
Obregonia denegrii
Strombocactus disciformis v.jarmilae
Turbinicarpus alonsoi
Turbinicarpus klinkerianus
Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus and
Turbinicarpus valdezianus albiflorus
Uebelmannia pectinifera

Here’s 2 batches from before, about a year old now : Strombocactus and Blossfeldia . Note how a Strombocactus seed which was inside for a year, just recently popped ;)
strombo.jpg
strombo.jpg (129.27 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
blossfeldia.jpg
blossfeldia.jpg (159.47 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
And this is a mixed bag of Lophophora Williamsii and Obregonia denegrii, about 3 months inside.
lopho_obreg.jpg
lopho_obreg.jpg (123.77 KiB) Viewed 3182 times

And newly sprouted Copiapoa cinerea v.columna alba
cinerea.jpg
cinerea.jpg (97.22 KiB) Viewed 3182 times

And newly sprouted Uebelmannia pectinifera
uebel.jpg
uebel.jpg (112.01 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
dinfelu

Re: Glass jar sowing, next batch

Post by dinfelu »

Hi Jangaudi

I also have the same impression that the seeds are better in glass than plastic jars, your comment makes me happy to see that I am not the only one who thinks this

regards
🌵 Gabriel
7george

Post by 7george »

The only minus I know about jars is that if lids are not clear the light can come from the side walls only but this is not a problem for many seedlings.

Positive features:
1) Jars are easier to seal and thus to hold water inside so no need to open them so often for watering;
2) Better views and making photos.

This is an older method from times when plastic baggies were not so easier available.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

7george wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:14 pm The only minus I know about jars is that if lids are not clear the light can come from the side walls only but this is not a problem for many seedlings.
Ah yes, I used the original metal lids at first, but because they block the light too much I've changed to a plastic film on top with a rubber band around it, it's better this way.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

May I ask what kind of water you used? ...and how you sterilized your soil mix? I can't tell how deep the jars are but does the depth and narrow neck present a problem when the seedling are ready to come out?

Now I'm thinking wide mouth canning pint jars would be a good way to go with my next batch.

The plastic tubs I'm using work but have the negatives of flexibility during handling and more so when removing the very snug lids.

They're on the shallow side, too. I mashed some spines on some cacti recently due to tall plants, low recessed lid and deep soil mix. waaah...
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Steve-0 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:45 pm May I ask what kind of water you used? ...and how you sterilized your soil mix? I can't tell how deep the jars are but does the depth and narrow neck present a problem when the seedling are ready to come out?
Well I always use rainwater, I just prepare my mix inside the jar, add a top layer of coarse sand / fine pumice, then I add the water with a jar that has a nozzle, and because of the top layer the soil doesn't wash away. Then I let it sit for a bit, and into the microwave, using a plastic lid just resting on top so the water doesn't escape too much. Then let it cool down a bit until the seeds go in (after a 24 hours soak and a bleach bath)
The jars I use actually have a very wide mouth, though they come from the supermarket, so it's easy to handle, and later on I just use a little spoon to scoop them out, or loosen the soil and let them slip out.

Got 1 batch in a plastic container here cause I ran out of jars at that time :D
IMG20210209230708.jpg
IMG20210209230708.jpg (173.5 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Thanks for the pic and your process ! Very helpful towards my next batch . I use rainwater as well or snow...melted of course...during our dry summer season (I live in a desert) I sometimes use creek or pond water.
7george

Post by 7george »

Important notice: Take out the grown out seedlings out the jars before they get wider then jar necks! :lol: (and break jars otherwise).

And if serious: you can sterilize jars with substrate inside covered by common lids by boiling those and replace covers with transparent ones after sowing. :!:
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

7george wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:16 pm And if serious: you can sterilize jars with substrate inside covered by common lids by boiling those and replace covers with transparent ones after sowing. :!:
Haha yes, but I'd not close the lids, or you could be in for a surprise :D
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Update !
Some Strombocactus seedlings are acting weird ! The large one in the center is growing some light green tissue on the top, don't know what it is, but it's glossy, not hairy ! And another is growing multiple heads on it's top.
IMG20210719103805 copy.jpg
IMG20210719103805 copy.jpg (232.9 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

The mixed bag of Lophophora Williamsii and Obregonia denegrii is looking good ;)
IMG20210719103230 copy.jpg
IMG20210719103230 copy.jpg (199.51 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

The Copiapoa cinerea v.columna alba have grown quite a bit.
IMG20210719103612 copy.jpg
IMG20210719103612 copy.jpg (121.44 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMG20210719103517 copy.jpg
IMG20210719103517 copy.jpg (289.9 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

Same for the Uebelmannia pectinifera seedlings.
IMG20210719103141 copy.jpg
IMG20210719103141 copy.jpg (144.82 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

And here the mixed bag, or should I say forest of Turbinicarpus klinkerianus and Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus.
IMG20210719103309 copy.jpg
IMG20210719103309 copy.jpg (164.98 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

And the mixed forest of Turbinicarpus alonsoi and Turbinicarpus valdezianus albiflorus
IMG20210719103432.jpg
IMG20210719103432.jpg (175.42 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

And I also added Copiapoa haseltonia to my list.
IMG20210719102743 copy.jpg
IMG20210719102743 copy.jpg (145.02 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Those are looking good. How are the aztekium doing?

The Strombocactus might be going monstrous but may just be growing a callous and will pup from that smooth crown like the one in the back... regardless that is some nice progress...
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

LateBloomer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:20 pm How are the aztekium doing?
Well they are doing fine, but very small still so hard to get a good picture. Same for the Strombocactus disciformis v.jarmilae, a field of little green dots ;) Will update later.
plantmanjan

Post by plantmanjan »

Question, how long are you planning to keep your Copiapoa Haseltonia in the glass jar for? I sowed mine in March 2021 and I am considering to introduce them to the air soon.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

plantmanjan wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:02 pm Question, how long are you planning to keep your Copiapoa Haseltonia in the glass jar for?
Hmm, they were sown in March, so I think I will set them free soon, at the end of the growing season, also because they have grown beyond expectation.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Great looking seedlings. How old are they now? Also, you mentioned Ariocarpus as well in your first post, how is that doing?
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll: