Chlorosis or variegation?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Shane

Chlorosis or variegation?

Post by Shane »

I noticed a few of my plants developing white patches on their leaves
20210129_001858_copy_931x704.jpg
20210129_001858_copy_931x704.jpg (122.86 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
I thought it was chlorosis from some environmental stressor at first, but now I'm not so sure. I propagated these plants from leaves from a single parent plant about two years ago. I think they're Graptopetalum paraguayense, but I'm not 100% sure. They came from a Home Depot and I'm 90% sure they were grown by Altman Plants. Here's a picture of variegated G. paraguayense grown by AP (from their social media) for reference:
Altman plants variegated G. paraguayense.jpg
Altman plants variegated G. paraguayense.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
What do you think?
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
The_Nikon_Guy

Re: Chlorosis or variegation?

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

This paraguayense leaves definitely look quite healthy to me Shane - Based on the way the white parts have developed, it looks like chlorosis instead of variegation.

Not sure what the white patches on your other succulent are though
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
Shane

Re: Chlorosis or variegation?

Post by Shane »

The_Nikon_Guy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:51 am This paraguayense leaves definitely look quite healthy to me Shane - Based on the way the white parts have developed, it looks like chlorosis instead of variegation
I think you're right. Now the question is why this pretty healthy plant would be experiencing chlorosis. It's interesting that in the Altman Plants picture (the second one), it also appears to be chlorosis since presumably the leaves will darken as they mature. Perhaps it's some kind of recurrent, seasonal chlorosis similar to Astrophytum myriostigma cv. Kohyo
Not sure what the white patches on your other succulent are though
I guess all the plants in my picture have white patches haha. The Aloe just grows like that (I think somewhere I read the white streaks are caused with fine gas bubbles in the leaves) and the Schlumbergera is unhappy I think with the temperatures (and also they go dormant this time of year even in habitat apparently). The Aloe is also unhappy because it's in a chunk of dirt that my friend pulled out of a pot and gave to me. The soil really doesn't absorb water well and it's always kind of stressed. I need to break it up and plant the plants more properly
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction