Using 6-BAP with Lanolin to induce offsets

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
The_Nikon_Guy

Using 6-BAP with Lanolin to induce offsets

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

I recently read an article on a forum wherein the author talks about his experiences inducing offsets on his cacti using a 2% w/w mix of 6-BenzylAminoPurine (BAP) in pure lanolin.
I purchased 5 gms of 6-BAP from a guy in Cairns via eBay and the pure Lanolin (50gm) from Superpharmacy (https://www.superpharmacy.com.au/produc ... anolin-50g) for $6.95+delivery (~ $4).
Using a weighing scale capable of measureing milligrams, I weighed in 1000 mg of warmed up lanolin (warming it helps make it more liquid) and added 20 mg of 6-BAP. I mixed it for about 2 minutes by stirring vigourously and then using a toothpick, proceeded to gently poke the mix into a few aerioles of some of my favourite cacti. Here's the list:
- Ariocarpus retusus: 1 aeriol applied
- Gymnocalycium stellatum: 3 aeriols applied
- Euphorbis obsessa: 3 aeriols applied
- Astrophytum ornatum: 1 aeriol applied
- Notocactus erubescens: 2 aeriols applied
- Lophocereus schottii v. monstrose: 3 aeriols applied
- Ferrocactus rubrispinus: 1 aeriol applied
- Parodia magnifica: 1 aeriol applied

I still have quite a bit left over despite inoculating all those aerioles, cant imagine how long the 5 gms of 6-BAP is going to last me :lol:

Stay tuned and I'll be posting regular updates once I see any activity on those aerioles!
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
Shane

Re: Using 6-BAP with Lanolin to induce offsets

Post by Shane »

Interesting. I'd heard of this hormone being used to encourage pupping on areole grafts and had always been curious. Do you have a link to the forum discussion?
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

I would be fascinated by a comparison of this with a free compound with a different mechanism of action.

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=45564
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

One Windowsill wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:32 pm I would be fascinated by a comparison of this with a free compound with a different mechanism of action.

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=45564
I read your posted link - yes it is quite a different action - Indolylacetic acid acts on the roots while BAP re-activates cells and converts them into meristmes or plant like stem cells of some sort. These stem cells are what generate the offsets.
I'm not familiar with the exact theory of it all, but based on other people's experience, it works.
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Shane wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:16 pm Interesting. I'd heard of this hormone being used to encourage pupping on areole grafts and had always been curious. Do you have a link to the forum discussion?
Here's the link that started it all for me: https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... &hilit=BAP :D
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

The_Nikon_Guy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 pm I read your posted link - yes it is quite a different action - Indolylacetic acid acts on the roots while BAP re-activates cells and converts them into meristmes or plant like stem cells of some sort. These stem cells are what generate the offsets.
A common misapprehension due to IAA being used in rooting compounds. IAA acts at both growing green buds and roots. The 6-BAP suppresses the apical dominance, an influence on lower potential branching/pupping sites effected by IAA being produced at the growing point of the plant.

By adding IAA at potential branching/pupping sites you suppress the apical dominance by simply making that branch equally domineering.

I would think it harder to overdose with IAA because the plant has the ability to metabolise it rapidly.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I'm curious if there's any way to tell if you have real 6-BAP. What I mean is anyone could sell a white powder on ebay and say it's 6-BAP (not to mention the chain of middlemen it goes through before it gets to Ebay), is there some way to know it's legit?

The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Shane wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:56 pm I'm curious if there's any way to tell if you have real 6-BAP. What I mean is anyone could sell a white powder on ebay and say it's 6-BAP (not to mention the chain of middlemen it goes through before it gets to Ebay), is there some way to know it's legit?
I cant tell for sure - personally for me, the only way to tell if its legit or not - is in the results. Then again, a failed result could mean I haven't done the process properly. When I buy on eBay, I tend to read reviews from buyers as well as look closely at the seller's overall rating.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I was afraid of that. But I guess it's worth the risk and the original person who did it seems to have gotten good results from Ebay 6-BAP

Shane

Post by Shane »

I got the 6-BAP in the mail today and plan to start experimenting soon. In the mean time, I found a paper mentioning another method for applying 6-BAP to plants (in this case tea tree and orchids). Here's their method:
The 6-BAP solution was prepared by dissolving 100 mg of 6-BAP powder with 2 mL HCl 1% and
diluted using distilled water until the volume became 100 mL. To get the 5, 10, 15, and 20 ppm hormone
concentrations, 5, 10, 15 and 20 mL 6-bap solutions were needed which were diluted with distilled water
until the volume reaches to 1 liter.
One week before treatment, trimming the shoots of plants was done. The application of 6-BAP
hormone was done by spraying the leaves and stems of plants using a handsprayer. Each plant was
sprayed using a 6-BAP solution of 10 mL every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. Hormones carried out in the
morning at (06.00-08.00). After hormone treatments no watering for 24 hours
Their results were modest (the only statistically significant result was increased leaves on buds). I'll note here the method mentioned by The_Nikon_Guy uses a 20,000 ppm 6-BAP solution, which is 1000x higher than the experimenters used. I'll also add that the researchers' purpose seems to have been to make slightly bushier seedlings, not induce wild offsetting. I would suggest that for our purposes, it would be better to use much higher 6-BAP concentrations than they did

The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Okay guys, the jury is in.
Firslty, Shane had enquired as to how we could tell whether or not we were getting genuine 6-BAP. I responded by saying that the results would speak for themselves. Well, I am very happy to say that my Euphorba obesa has generated an offset on one of the 3 aerioles onto which I had applied the 6-BAP.
Please take a look at the first 2 photos.
euphorbia_obessa_offset_6bap_full.jpg
euphorbia_obessa_offset_6bap_full.jpg (122.55 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
euphorbia_obessa_offset_6bap_zoomed.jpg
euphorbia_obessa_offset_6bap_zoomed.jpg (125.53 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
The other photos show closeups of 2 other cacti that show some promise (a bit of swelling)
notocactus_erubescens.jpg
notocactus_erubescens.jpg (136.62 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
astrophytum_capricornium.jpg
astrophytum_capricornium.jpg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
Stay tuned!!
Shane

Post by Shane »

The_Nikon_Guy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:41 am Okay guys, the jury is in.
Firslty, Shane had enquired as to how we could tell whether or not we were getting genuine 6-BAP. I responded by saying that the results would speak for themselves. Well, I am very happy to say that my Euphorba obesa has generated an offset on one of the 3 aerioles onto which I had applied the 6-BAP
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to trying it myself soon. I have also taken the plunge and gotten almost everything I need (BAP and lanolin). All I lack now is a scale that can measure mg

Glad to see it works so well. Looks like it makes about one offset per application, which is pretty much ideal

The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Hi Shane, this is the weighing scale I purchased from eBay - its is really good quality and has performed consistantly ever since I bought it about 2 years ago. and Yes, most importantly, it measures in milligrams.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Precis ... 3405741235
Shane

Post by Shane »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I'll be buying anything on ebay again. They've blacklisted my debit card and there's no way to appeal or fix the problem. I did order a scale before this happened, but I doubt I'll ever see it. The seller seems to be in the process of getting kicked off ebay and hasn't shipped my item or responded to my message

In the meantime, if anyone knows of another place I can get a scale please let me know

The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »