sempervivum type flower growth on echeveria second

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Nic

sempervivum type flower growth on echeveria second

Post by Nic »

I haven't posted here in awhile but One of the echeverias in one of my outdoor bed has grown a terminal flower stalk instead of the usual radial flower stalks typical to the species, What is also unusual is that has been flowering since June, while my other plants of the species stopped flowering in august or early September.
Attachments
55D97898-0AD0-418A-872E-8D21BA578959.jpeg
55D97898-0AD0-418A-872E-8D21BA578959.jpeg (201.65 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
Shane

Re: sempervivum type flower growth on echeveria second

Post by Shane »

That's interesting. My first guess was it's an intergeneric hybrid with a genus that grows terminal flower stalks, like Sedum. But it looks like it grew the terminal stalk in addition to the normal ones. That's very strange. Do you have an ID for the plant?
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Shane

Post by Shane »

Apparently some Echeveria hybrids are prone to doing this. If you google "Echeveria terminal flower" you can find others doing this. Who knows if this is a sign of Sedum ancestry, or just bad hybrid genetics? Another interesting question, is this group of hybrids monophyletic? And are there any Echeveria species that do this?

Nic

Post by Nic »

this is one of the common echeverias, I think secunda its not a hybrid, but one of many of this species that I had mostly grown from a couple plants
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Also see this topic:
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13971
---------------
Based on some further research, this trait seems to be widespread if not commonly expressed among Echeveria species. I think the hybrids tending to do this is just a reflection of the fact mostly hybrids are grown in cultivation. I wonder if this indicates that Echeveria's ancestor produced exclusively terminal inflorescences. Or if their descendents might someday. Also makes me wonder, are there Echeveria species that normally flower like this, discovered or undiscovered? So many questions