How do I cut this?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Thebrowncat

How do I cut this?

Post by Thebrowncat »

Hello!

I've got a 6yr old cactus here that is pretty tall - about 32inch at its tallest point.

As you can see by the pic, it currently has some sort of bamboo stick and string around it to hold it up, otherwise it just flops everywhere! The string isn't tight to the cactus, just making is to it quite literally doesn't flop and snap at any point.

I'm planning on tidying this up to make it more manageable to maintain moving forward.

Just posting here for some immediate thoughts or any recommendations when dealing with something that is so out of control!

Thank you!
Attachments
cactus1.png
cactus1.png (414.3 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
samhain

Re: How do I cut this?

Post by samhain »

With a clean knife, anywhere you wish. It appears massively etiolated.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
Thebrowncat

Post by Thebrowncat »

samhain wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:30 pm With a clean knife, anywhere you wish. It appears massively etiolated.

Thank you :)

Re etiolation, really? It has quite a thick base though of approximately 4cm diameter, not sure how it's supposed to look if it has a base this thick and doesn't grow tall.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Give it much sun (sunny window, no watering in winter and outdoors in summer, first month in shade) and you'll be surprised in wonderful changes.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Thebrowncat wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:56 pm not sure how it's supposed to look if it has a base this thick and doesn't grow tall.
More like this:
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti