Looks a bit like e. knuthii, but not quite

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
gdlwyverex

Looks a bit like e. knuthii, but not quite

Post by gdlwyverex »

Just got this one today.
EuphorbiaClosr.jpg
EuphorbiaClosr.jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
EuphorbiaFull.jpg
EuphorbiaFull.jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
Looks alot like knuthii but without the white stripe
Anyone recognise it?

Richard
kak tus

Re: Looks a bit like e. knuthii, but not quite

Post by kak tus »

I don't think E. knuthii grows a central stem like that so that rules it out for me. www.euphorbia.de is usually a very good reference but it seems like it's down. Does anyone know why? Shame if it's taken down.. it was the go-to site for Euphorbia identification for me.
gdlwyverex

Post by gdlwyverex »

kak tus wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:04 pm I don't think E. knuthii grows a central stem like that so that rules it out for me. www.euphorbia.de is usually a very good reference but it seems like it's down. Does anyone know why? Shame if it's taken down.. it was the go-to site for Euphorbia identification for me.
Thus far I am leaning towards E. gradidens as an ID with E. longispina as a close second

Richard
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

Definitely not knuthii. Looks just like a rooted cutting of Euphorbia sekukuniensis. This one usually grows like a branch rather than a tree from rooted cuttings unless drastic cultivation steps are taken. Mine finally started growing like a tree after the main cutting died.
Grandidens is another good guess but is is not likely to be longispina. We had an E. grandidens growing unfettered at the university I attended. It was a very nice tree the last time I visited their greenhouses.
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
gdlwyverex

Post by gdlwyverex »

Tetrazole wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:38 pm Definitely not knuthii. Looks just like a rooted cutting of Euphorbia sekukuniensis. This one usually grows like a branch rather than a tree from rooted cuttings unless drastic cultivation steps are taken. Mine finally started growing like a tree after the main cutting died.
Grandidens is another good guess but is is not likely to be longispina. We had an E. grandidens growing unfettered at the university I attended. It was a very nice tree the last time I visited their greenhouses.
Thank you
Euphorbia sekukuniensis looks to me like a better fit

Richard