Hello from Norway :)

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Mrs.Green

Hello from Norway :)

Post by Mrs.Green »

Hello from Norway :) I have been lurking here for some time and finally picked up the courage to join the forum. Even though I have had all sorts of plants for the last 45 years or so, I still see myself as an amateur . So I am not sure how much interesting for other members I can contribute with.. I have always liked and been interested in plants . My interest in cacti isn’t new at all , I got hooked almost four decades ago . At the time cacti must have been quite popular here in Norway, I remember there was quite easy to find different species sold quite cheap in small pots.

Full of enthusiasm I did what many newcomers do..I bought all the cacti I liked . Due to limited space they all stood close together on the windowsill. Everything went well for several months and some even bloomed. No prizes for guessing what happened next..I noticed some strange white fluff on some... Consulting my books I soon found out what the ‘fluff’ was.. After many fruitless attempts getting rid of the critters, I gave up on cacti. Over the years I have ‘always’ had a few cacti but I have focused on other plants .

Now I have a mostly epiphytic cacti . I don’t have a greenhouse and the ground is covered in white about half the year, so indoor growing is my only option.

Thank you for accepting me on this forum, I have alredy learned a lot and people seems very friendly here :)
majcka

Re: Hello from Norway :)

Post by majcka »

Mrs.Green wellcome on the forum.

Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Mrs.Green wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:54 am Now I have a mostly epiphytic cacti . I don’t have a greenhouse and the ground is covered in white about half the year, so indoor growing is my only option.
Actually, there are quite some frost hardy plants that might survive in an unheated greenhouse in Norway (probably depending on how cold it really gets...). And maybe quite some that can stay outside only sheltered by a clear plastic or glass sheet above the plants, shielding it from excessive rain. Snow is not even a problem for some of them. At least when the snow does not melt away a day later, like it does up here in the Netherlands.

You might like to keep your eyes out on Escobaria, Pediocactus, Puna, many Opuntia and some Mammillaria species. -15C should not be hurtful to many of these, and especially some of the Escobaria and Pediocactus should be able to take on -25C.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Hei, hyggelig å se deg her. I think that growing plants outdoors will not secceed because of lack of summary temps and the only right decision is a greenhouse or very bright window. Epiphytic cacti is very nice choice. You cacti suffered from mealy bug invasion, nowadys insect killers are very effective in such problems.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

majcka wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:37 am Mrs.Green wellcome on the forum.

Thank you Majcka :)
Aiko wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:55 am [quote=Mrs.Green post_id=379876 time=<a href="tel:1603875240">1603875240</a> user_id=17196]
Now I have a mostly epiphytic cacti . I don’t have a greenhouse and the ground is covered in white about half the year, so indoor growing is my only option.
Actually, there are quite some frost hardy plants that might survive in an unheated greenhouse in Norway (probably depending on how cold it really gets...). And maybe quite some that can stay outside only sheltered by a clear plastic or glass sheet above the plants, shielding it from excessive rain. Snow is not even a problem for some of them. At least when the snow does not melt away a day later, like it does up here in the Netherlands.

You might like to keep your eyes out on Escobaria, Pediocactus, Puna, many Opuntia and some Mammillaria species. -15C should not be hurtful to many of these, and especially some of the Escobaria and Pediocactus should be able to take on -25C.
[/quote]

Hi Aiko :) Could be they ( the cacti) would survive in a unheated greenhouse but the mere thought of keeping this hypotetic greenhouse accessible trough the winter.... :shock: To give you an idea; the white stuff was halfway up on my livingroom windows this winter.. :D In fact I don’t think the cold would be the worst problem here . But it’s quite common with a long period of rain in the autumn before the cold/ snow . I am a lazy gardener, in my opinion the plants outside should be able to withstand the climate/ weather without any ‘help’ from me.
anttisepp wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:02 am Hei, hyggelig å se deg her. I think that growing plants outdoors will not secceed because of lack of summary temps and the only right decision is a greenhouse or very bright window. Epiphytic cacti is very nice choice. You cacti suffered from mealy bug invasion, nowadys insect killers are very effective in such problems.
Takk i lige måde Anttisepp :) I think I will continue to keep cacti indoors. Of course it would be fun to have a big heated greenhouse..if i win the lottery maybee.. :D Yes, I found out then what the little critters were. This was before internet but back then we had books.. :D Years later I was so ‘lucky’ to have these cuddly little critters back.. I fell in love with Phalaneopsis orchids and soon the windowsills were crowded. This time I knew beforhand what mealybugs was and checked every new plant. Well that method don’t work..quarantine is the answer. Long story short; I took all the affected Phal’s away and put them in a different window. Sprayed them down with leaf-shine and hoped for the best. It did cured the Phal’s that survived the cure. About 1/3 of the Phal’s didn’t survive. The remaining ones was a bit unhappy for a while but then came back to normal.
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Welcome to the forum.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
Ah yes, I also have the cold and wet issue...and some pests occasionally.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

bbarv wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:30 pm Welcome to the forum.
Thank you Bbarv :)

gemhunter178 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:05 am Welcome!
Ah yes, I also have the cold and wet issue...and some pests occasionally.
Thank you Gemhunter :) The pests yes.. the ones I dislike the most are the mealy and the root mealy bugs.. I suspect that the local florist’s isn’t to happy with me..not only I am inspecting the plants above soil but I do take a look ‘underground’ too... :D