Anybody have a Stephania erecta craib?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Anybody have a Stephania erecta craib?

Post by WayneByerly »

I just got a Stephania erecta craib from Thailand, and am wondering if there anybody on the forum that has one or more of these and can give me some realistic personal-experience-based-advice on what I might do for its care. I'd post a picture, but it's just a brown golfball sized lump at this point ... NO stems or vines or leaves yet... I can't imagine that that would be very interesting ...

Hope ya'll are all doing well... best regards to any and all who investigate this post ... whether or not y[youtube][/youtube]ou can help me out.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Jangaudi

Re: Anybody have a Stephania erecta craib?

Post by Jangaudi »

Hi Wayne,
I got one myself, and it's been struggling to fully develop in the summer. It grows shoots, but short, and by the time the leaves should start to develop it's autumn already. So I think next year I should A: give it more heat ( considering it's habitat, also at night ) and B: More humidity during summer, as it's hot and humid in Thailand. I think this should do the trick. Considering your location it should be fine.
If it's still dormant now, better wait till spring to wake it up. Coolish winter not lower than 10 C, on the dry side, but not cacti dry ;) The skin of Stephanias is clearly capillary, so it will take up humidity during misting as well.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Jangaudi wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:35 pm If it's still dormant now, better wait till spring to wake it up.
It HAD a shoot/branch (about 1in or so) when it was shipped, but the shoot died in the time it took to ship it, and broke off when i unpacked it. It was dry and dead.

So i thought i would put it in my kitchen window in temperatures that people like (73F or so)... Does that have any effect on your recommendation?
Jangaudi wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:35 pm The skin of Stephanias is clearly capillary, so it will take up humidity during misting as well
Now THAT is a USEFUL and FASCINATING piece of information

HMMM... I guess that would be a useful survival tool for the plant in times of drought. So it could soak up any dewfall.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

What does the craib part in the name 'do'?
What does it mean? It is not a locality, I assume, not a subspecies or variety name.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

The shoot died because the plant went into dormancy, probably because of being exposed to cooler temperatures during transport, that's why I would not try to wake it up again so late in the year. I will shoot back up in the spring ;)
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Stephania erecta Craib - if written correctly. The first two words are the botanical name and the one not in italics is the abbreviation of the name of the author of that botanical name. In this case William Grant Craib, a Scottish botanist who worked at the Botanical Gardens of Calcutta (Kolkata) and Kew. He wrote the decription that was published in 1922.

Plants of the World Online seem to think that it is a synonym and the current valid name is Stephania pierrei Diels. First described by the German botanist Friedrich Ludwig Emil Diels.

Diels reports the Cambodian names as "cu mot", "tu nhien" or "cu binh voi" (from François Gagnepain?). Craib's description reports that Arthur Francis George Kerr supplied the Lao name "Bua Kûa".

http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/detailsQuer ... K000644771

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/pag ... 6/mode/1up

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 4/mode/1up
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

One Windowsill wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:09 pm Stephania erecta Craib - if written correctly. The first two words are the botanical name and the one not in italics is the abbreviation of the name of the author of that botanical name. In this case William Grant Craib, a Scottish botanist who worked at the Botanical Gardens of Calcutta (Kolkata) and Kew. He wrote the decription that was published in 1922.

Plants of the World Online seem to think that it is a synonym and the current valid name is Stephania pierrei Diels. First described by the German botanist Friedrich Ludwig Emil Diels.
That is something I of course have seen before. But basically only used in this way in articles and such. It is a surprise to see it on a forum.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

It is not really necessary to include the author unless there is confusion, where there are two plants with the same name. For example, the confusion between:

Marsdenia floribunda (Brongn.) Schltr. originally called Stephanotis floribunda Brongn. and now called Stephanotis floribunda Jacques.

Marsdenia floribunda (E.Mey.) N.E.Br. originally and now again called Dregea floribunda E.Mey.

Two totally different plants in the Marsdenieae of the asclepiads. One is a common and famous houseplant and the other is an obscure plant with hardly any herbarium specimens and one doubtful illustration. I couldn't find a photo of the living plant online. Even the online herbarium of the Muséum national de Histoire naturelle in Paris and the Tropicos database have confused the two species.

There is a youtube video where the presenter assumed that Stephanotis floribunda had been renamed to Dregea floribunda. Luckily it has only had 14,000 views. ](*,)
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Found some good webpage about Stephania erecta on Ukhouseplants
https://www.ukhouseplants.com/plants/stephania-erecta
I'm trying the 24 hours soak to wake them up, it's about time to start working ;)