Just a few Lithops...

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
From0to10in2weeks

Just a few Lithops...

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

If anyone can provide ID for some of those Lithops I'd be very grateful. Thanks. Best.
IMG_4982 numbered resizedJPG.JPG
IMG_4982 numbered resizedJPG.JPG (186.15 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
MBM7

Re: Just a few Lithops...

Post by MBM7 »

Hey from0to10, I grow a fair amount of lithops myself, and I'm fairly confident that all of these lithops are the same variety (or the same hybrid), of Lithops hookerii http://www.lithops.info/en/gallery/lithops_hookeri.html All lithops have some color variation, even within the same variety of the same species as in your photo.

The general rule with Lithops is that the ones you buy from non-specialized nurseries are some type of hybrid, while lithops you buy from more dedicated succulent/cacti growers tend to be purer species.
From0to10in2weeks

MBM7 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:39 pm Hey from0to10, I grow a fair amount of lithops myself, and I'm fairly confident that all of these lithops are the same variety (or the same hybrid), of Lithops hookerii http://www.lithops.info/en/gallery/lithops_hookeri.html All lithops have some color variation, even within the same variety of the same species as in your photo.

The general rule with Lithops is that the ones you buy from non-specialized nurseries are some type of hybrid, while lithops you buy from more dedicated succulent/cacti growers tend to be purer species.
Thanks for the comment and ID suggestion. This was a big box purchase. So, I assume that those are hybrids of L. hookeri as you suggested. Also, thanks for the link! The website has some very useful info.
From0to10in2weeks

MBM7 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:39 pm Hey from0to10, I grow a fair amount of lithops myself, and I'm fairly confident that all of these lithops are the same variety (or the same hybrid), of Lithops hookerii http://www.lithops.info/en/gallery/lithops_hookeri.html All lithops have some color variation, even within the same variety of the same species as in your photo.
You were right on! I happened to bring this up with a local cacti nursery and they confirmed your ID.

Thanks! Best.
MBM7

Post by MBM7 »

Glad to be able to help! I personally love all of the color and pattern variation within the same lithops species. It also makes growing them from seed especially gratifying (if you have the patience!). Enjoy your lithops, hopefully some will flower for you this fall.