Stapelia macrocarpa or revoluta

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
wuness

Stapelia macrocarpa or revoluta

Post by wuness »

When I acquired this plant, the label read Stapelia revoluta. After doing the research, it looks more like Stapelia (Huernia) macrocarpa. What do you think? Thanks
wuness
Stapelia macrocarpa-min.JPG
Stapelia macrocarpa-min.JPG (97.23 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Jangaudi

Re: Stapelia macrocarpa or revoluta

Post by Jangaudi »

I think you're right, though regular macrocarpa flowers looks light colored down at the base of the flower, yours looks purpleish blue. I think Huernia macrocarpa var. penzigii looks more to the point but still not quite. There's a lot of variety in flowers though, and several other species that could match, like Huernia Echidnopsioides , Huernia Schneideriana , which has the purple tone inside, or Huernia keniensis...I dare not say ;)
wuness

Post by wuness »

Jangaudi: Thanks for your suggestions. Of the possibilities you listed, it looks like it could be either schneideriana or macrocarpa. I'm leaning towards schneideriana.
wunnes
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi,
I have just done a little research into Huernia schneideriana and keniensis as I wasn't sure with mine.
By the form of the flower and the plant stems I would put my money on H. keniensis. But they ARE tricky.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.