Goings on down under

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
MikeInOz

Re: Goings on down under

Post by MikeInOz »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:28 am Hi Mike, you could make a youtube video with all this detail you posted. Question do you like a acid soil for all cactus or just seedlings ?
Hi Keith, I thought about youtube but I think I'm past it now. :(
As to acidity, I think if you keep an acid mix for the South American species and neutral for the Mexicans you should be ok as long as 1/ you always have some Calcium available and 2/ your water and or water/fertilizer mix is slightly acidic or has an acidic reaction.
You can even grow all cacti with acidic soil as long as the the calcium is at least 5 times (or above) the magnesium. That seems to be the requirement to keep high pH habitat (limestone) plants happy.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

abhikjha wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:37 am

One question - I didn't know that acidic soil, requirements of calcium is so important for seed germination and sustenance. What advice you give if someone already sown seeds but didn't acidify the soil or put gypsum in the mix? Is it ok if in next watering cycle, I bottom water them with acidic water with a bit of Calmag?

Cheers
Abhik
Your mix will most likely have calcium in it. I use gypsum to remove any doubt over the whole time the seedlings are in the pot. You can always add gypsum anytime after sowing if you have it. If you use acidic water all the time you should be fine but just make sure you don't over acidify because that can cause other problems! (if you use limestone in the mix you can't acidify it much until all of the lime is dissolved - which almost never happens) I'm not a fan of Calmag as they use calcium chloride. I would prefer some garden lime. If it's too fine and you're worried about it raising the pH, wash it in a bucket first and use what's left on the bottom or you can grind any type of seashell in a mortar and pestle and use that. You don't need much!
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

MikeInOz wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 am
abhikjha wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:37 am

One question - I didn't know that acidic soil, requirements of calcium is so important for seed germination and sustenance. What advice you give if someone already sown seeds but didn't acidify the soil or put gypsum in the mix? Is it ok if in next watering cycle, I bottom water them with acidic water with a bit of Calmag?

Cheers
Abhik
Your mix will most likely have calcium in it. I use gypsum to remove any doubt over the whole time the seedlings are in the pot. You can always add gypsum anytime after sowing if you have it. If you use acidic water all the time you should be fine but just make sure you don't over acidify because that can cause other problems! (if you use limestone in the mix you can't acidify it much until all of the lime is dissolved - which almost never happens) I'm not a fan of Calmag as they use calcium chloride. I would prefer some garden lime. If it's too fine and you're worried about it raising the pH, wash it in a bucket first and use what's left on the bottom or you can grind any type of seashell in a mortar and pestle and use that. You don't need much!
My mix is incidentally pure mineral 😃, so not sure whether it will have any calcium in it. I found good source of gypsum powder on Amazon. It's basically Calcium Sulphate, right?

Here is the link for Gypsum powder:
Going Greens Gypsum for Plants Natural Soil Conditioner for Lawn and Garden (5 KG) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08GZLZJ1Q/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

Here is the link for Garden lime powder:
Shehri Kissan The Urban Farmers Dolomite Garden Lime Fertilizer Agricultural Dolomitic Limestone Powder for Calcium, Magnesium Plants Excellent for Soil Treatment, pH Balance, Reduces Acidity -450 g https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08FZCP461/ref ... 6K0J6ZD0BT

Do these look okay? If I use acidic water everytime (ph 5.5) then I don't need to use garden lime, right?

So if I get these two, I can mix both of them and add on top of soil?
Any idea how to mix them? and how much to add on top of soil?
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

=abhikjha post_id=390004 time=1631594466 user_id=17612]

My mix is incidentally pure mineral 😃, so not sure whether it will have any calcium in it. I found good source of gypsum powder on Amazon. It's basically Calcium Sulphate, right?
Yep.
Here is the link for Gypsum powder:
Going Greens Gypsum for Plants Natural Soil Conditioner for Lawn and Garden (5 KG) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08GZLZJ1Q/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

Here is the link for Garden lime powder:
Shehri Kissan The Urban Farmers Dolomite Garden Lime Fertilizer Agricultural Dolomitic Limestone Powder for Calcium, Magnesium Plants Excellent for Soil Treatment, pH Balance, Reduces Acidity -450 g https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08FZCP461/ref ... 6K0J6ZD0BT

Do these look okay?
Yes they look ok, I would sieve or wash out the fines though.

If I use acidic water everytime (ph 5.5) then I don't need to use garden lime, right?
No you should use some. Continually watering with 5.5 will quickly leach Ca. When I say quickly, I mean over a season.
So if I get these two, I can mix both of them and add on top of soil?
Any idea how to mix them? and how much to add on top of soil?
Yes mixing them for limestone species is a good idea. Since gypsum is 10 times (?) more soluble than calcium carbonate make it about <> 5 to one lime to gypsum for the limestone growers. It's not critical even 50/50 is ok. And maybe the other way round for the acid growers. *IF* your water is acidic. If you use town water which is about pH7 just use the gypsum.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

MikeInOz wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:06 am No you should use some. Continually watering with 5.5 will quickly leach Ca. When I say quickly, I mean over a season.
Thanks Mike, so if I use garden lime in the mix, I need to sometime skip watering with acidic water?
MikeInOz wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:06 am Yes mixing them for limestone species is a good idea. Since gypsum is 10 times (?) more soluble than calcium carbonate make it about <> 5 to one lime to gypsum for the limestone growers. It's not critical even 50/50 is ok. And maybe the other way round for the acid growers. *IF* your water is acidic. If you use town water which is about pH7 just use the gypsum.
5:1 (lime : gypsum) for limestone growers like Ariocarpus, Lophophora etc.
Only gypsum for acid growers like south american varieties since my town water is almost ph neutral or slightly alkaline.

Is this equation good for adult potted plants as well? If for adult plants, I use fertilizer which has all micronutrients including Ca, S and Mg, this additional Gypsum and limestone won't affect adversely, right?
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

abhikjha post_id=390014 time=1631628846 user_id=17612]

Thanks Mike, so if I use garden lime in the mix, I need to sometime skip watering with acidic water?
You should keep the pH of your water at about 5.5-6 if there is solid limestone in your mix and your normal water pH is higher than about 6.

Only gypsum for acid growers like south american varieties since my town water is almost ph neutral or slightly alkaline.

Is this equation good for adult potted plants as well? If for adult plants, I use fertilizer which has all micronutrients including Ca, S and Mg, this additional Gypsum and limestone won't affect adversely, right?
If your water pH is 7 or above and you are growing acid loving plants, you should not use lime in the mix. You could add a little gypsum and acidify your water to 5.5 or use a fertilizer where the ammonium is slightly higher than the nitrate. Ammonium sulphate is the most acidifying of all the fertilizers and can completely override a slightly alkaline water. The reason I use limestone (0.5 to 1mm particles) in the mix is partly to supply calcium and partly to buffer against too much acidity from rainwater and ammonium fertilizers which - it is said - that plants from arid areas prefer.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

MikeInOz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:50 am
abhikjha post_id=390014 time=1631628846 user_id=17612]

You should keep the pH of your water at about 5.5-6 if there is solid limestone in your mix and your normal water pH is higher than about 6.

If your water pH is 7 or above and you are growing acid loving plants, you should not use lime in the mix. You could add a little gypsum and acidify your water to 5.5 or use a fertilizer where the ammonium is slightly higher than the nitrate. Ammonium sulphate is the most acidifying of all the fertilizers and can completely override a slightly alkaline water. The reason I use limestone (0.5 to 1mm particles) in the mix is partly to supply calcium and partly to buffer against too much acidity from rainwater and ammonium fertilizers which - it is said - that plants from arid areas prefer.
Thanks Mike. I will add gypsum and acidify the water to 5.5. My tap water is around 7. Thanks for your suggestions. Did you say that you sieve the powdery form and use particle size gypsum? Any specific reason for that? What if I get only powdery form of gypsum? Is it bad to use?
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

abhikjha wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:56 pm
. Did you say that you sieve the powdery form and use particle size gypsum? Any specific reason for that? What if I get only powdery form of gypsum? Is it bad to use?
it last months rather than weeks by using 1-3mm particles as opposed to the dust.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

MikeInOz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:04 am
abhikjha wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:56 pm
. Did you say that you sieve the powdery form and use particle size gypsum? Any specific reason for that? What if I get only powdery form of gypsum? Is it bad to use?
it last months rather than weeks by using 1-3mm particles as opposed to the dust.
Aah ok! Got it.. thanks Mike!
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Cleistocactus colademononsis taking a spell in the garden
20220113_101436.jpg
20220113_101436.jpg (113.55 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Echinocereus schmollii
P1140977.JPG
P1140977.JPG (80.83 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Heliocereus speciosus
P1140965.JPG
P1140965.JPG (102.54 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Lobivia arachnacantha var torrecillasensis
20211214_120514.jpg
20211214_120514.jpg (118.95 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Really nice plants! That E pulchellus ssp sharpii is really sweet
Alejandro
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

My Agave geminiflora is in flower.
I had 3 of these in the garden but this is the best of them. A perfectly round shape and the largest too, being about 2 meters across.
There are another 2 smaller spikes at the back coming up as well. It must have a couple of pups I didn't know were there!?
Soon I will have about 374 million seeds of this very nice clone.....
It has taken about 12-15 years to flower from planting. The others flowered much sooner.

20220310_140714.jpg
20220310_140714.jpg (108.86 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
20220310_140742.jpg
20220310_140742.jpg (215.11 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
20220310_140753.jpg
20220310_140753.jpg (158.99 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Ha Ha-374 million!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

These little Lithops seedlings flowered for the first time. A beautiful satiny white.
20220313_190333.jpg
20220313_190333.jpg (93.47 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
Fritha pulchra ''Red''
20220310_141521.jpg
20220310_141521.jpg (87.82 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Nice Mike.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.