Ultrawide

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
leland

Ultrawide

Post by leland »

I picked up a new lens, a Canon EFS 10 to 18mm for use on a camera with a 1.6 crop factor. This would be equivalent to 16 to 29mm on the old 35mm film format. It is a consumer grade lens of sufficient quality for my purposes. I tried it out on a dayhike in northern Arizona and it worked well in Cave Springs on the 10 and 14mm settings. I would not have been able to get these shots in the cave with any of my other my other lenses. It also worked well on the cactus pictures at the 18mm setting.
Ultrawide is a niche area of photography but well adapted to indoor or other tight locations
IMG_9434.jpg
IMG_9434.jpg (32.95 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
IMG_9448.jpg
IMG_9448.jpg (31.37 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
IMG_9455.jpg
IMG_9455.jpg (27.24 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
IMG_9462.jpg
IMG_9462.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
IMG_9466.jpg
IMG_9466.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
IMG_9471.jpg
IMG_9471.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
DaveW

Re: Ultrawide

Post by DaveW »

Looks good. As they say you can prove one lens is better than another in laboratory conditions, but if you cannot see the difference in normal photography one lens Is as good as another. A computer screen or a small print cannot even do justice to an average lens regarding resolution.

It's like the lines per millimetre myth. These figures are obtained in the laboratory by strapping the lens down to a vibration isolation platform. You will never get that resolution even on a sturdy tripod and certainly nowhere near it hand holding. As they say if you can't see the difference don't worry about it. Zooms originally were not as good as fixed focus lenses for resolution. They probably are still not, but now zooms resolution is much higher than most means of reproduction, therefore you cannot see the difference anymore.
mikethecactusguy

Re: Ultrawide

Post by mikethecactusguy »

When I was a youth during the age of "film" photography, one would always choose a fixed focal lens over a zoom lens. All the Photo Magazines would show side by side enlargements to show how at 1000% enlargement the fixed lens was always better than the equivalent zoomed lens. I had a Mamiya 35mm with 6 or 7 different lens. When I was 17 my parents took use on a caribbean cruise and I was able to buy a 20mm lens duty free and the whole trip it was sky/clouds/water shots off the back of the boat. But nothing was quite parallel when it came straight lines. To much lens distortion.
Digital has changed that. Software cleans up for fuzzy edges and not so sharp images. No lens distortion anymore on ultra wide shots since you can change aspect ratios (16:9, 4:3 etc). All around Los Angeles are 50 ft billboards with super enlarged photos showing the "shot on I-Phone " campaign. Obviously a lot of image manipulation to get that big and clear.
Wide is great for tight spaces and large landscape and getting more in a smaller area.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines