My plant tables

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Shane

My plant tables

Post by Shane »

Wanted to share a few pictures of tables I just built. I moved recently (to the Pico Robertson area for anyone who knows LA) and decided to finally build some tables for my cacti. I got one parking space for my plants and thought keeping them off the hot concrete would be good, plus the tables will provide support for shade cloth I'm eventually putting up. They also help define the space

I used salvaged wood (mostly from construction sites) for the frame. The only things I had to buy were the screen (¼ in hardware cloth) and screws. I decided not to put any additional supports under the screen because the wire has very high tensile strength (it would be the last thing in the tables to break). If I later decide I want the screen to sag less I can always add some cross members. I also put up some fencing type stuff my neighbor was tossing to hide the under the table area. That way I can store stuff underneath without it looking cluttered. I plan to add some rails later on the edges to keep plants from falling off during earthquakes

The tables are 36" by 45" and about 40" tall. I used 2x4s for the top and a mix of wood for the legs (one 3x3, one 4x4 and this composite wood that's around 3" by 3" (actual). The top is covered by ¼ inch hardware cloth held on by staples
Attachments
Finished tables
Finished tables
20200707_133741_copy_756x567.jpg (162.96 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
With privacy screen
With privacy screen
20200710_195033_copy_756x1008.jpg (117.96 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
Under construction
Under construction
20200706_173312_copy_756x1008.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
Under construction
Under construction
20200707_121456_copy_756x567.jpg (147.76 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
keith

Re: My plant tables

Post by keith »

Nice I always put a screen roof over my benches for sun and for rain protection but I think you said you were going to do that anyway.

Someday I'm going to build a big cover and benches for my plants .
leland

Post by leland »

It can be good to make your own to use up existing materials and to fit a given space. My first one to survive the test of time was made of scraps of 1 inch galvanized tubing and expanded metal for the top. The metal does not come in galvanised here so I had to paint it. The other one shown here in my wifes side of the garden is made from scraps of wood left over from other projects. In another location I have the table top set on concrete blocks rather than wooden legs.
IMG_5431.jpg
IMG_5431.jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 4237 times
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Shane wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:41 pm Wanted to share a few pictures of tables I just built. I moved recently (to the Pico Robertson area for anyone who knows LA) and decided to finally build some tables for my cacti. I got one parking space for my plants and thought keeping them off the hot concrete would be good, plus the tables will provide support for shade cloth I'm eventually putting up. They also help define the space

I used salvaged wood (mostly from construction sites) for the frame. The only things I had to buy were the screen (¼ in hardware cloth) and screws. I decided not to put any additional supports under the screen because the wire has very high tensile strength (it would be the last thing in the tables to break). If I later decide I want the screen to sag less I can always add some cross members. I also put up some fencing type stuff my neighbor was tossing to hide the under the table area. That way I can store stuff underneath without it looking cluttered. I plan to add some rails later on the edges to keep plants from falling off during earthquakes

The tables are 36" by 45" and about 40" tall. I used 2x4s for the top and a mix of wood for the legs (one 3x3, one 4x4 and this composite wood that's around 3" by 3" (actual). The top is covered by ¼ inch hardware cloth held on by staples
Shane, we're approaching nearly a year later with your homemade tables. How have the held up to a years worth of plants and the surrounding environment? Are they exposed to viewers? I had built some tables like this at my residential property a few years back and had people taking home cacti they liked when I wasn't home. Now mine go on a balcony but I don't get the same access to them or sun that I would like.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Sounds like you had pretty dishonest neighbors. I think for the most part, people don't steal plants from another person.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Shane

Post by Shane »

Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:34 pm Shane, we're approaching nearly a year later with your homemade tables. How have the held up to a years worth of plants and the surrounding environment? Are they exposed to viewers? I had built some tables like this at my residential property a few years back and had people taking home cacti they liked when I wasn't home. Now mine go on a balcony but I don't get the same access to them or sun that I would like.
They've held up well. No deterioration or issues. Even on the legs which are this weird composite wood. They work so well I haven't thought much about them actually

The plants are visible to the street. So far nothing has disappeared. I put my Pereskiopsis and some other less attractive plants up front. Also until recently there was usually a car parked in front of them (when my roommate was working from home. Some of my other plants are also pretty visible and none have disappeared. I know it's something that can happen but luckily it hasn't been an issue for me
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction