How to see new posts without seeing ID requests

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Shane

How to see new posts without seeing ID requests

Post by Shane »

So here's yet another post about the ID requests. But with a solution! If you want to see the "New Posts" section without the cacti or succulent ID sections, here's a link:
search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=& ... mit=Search
It displays in a slightly different format, and doesn't show just the newest post in each thread (for example, if there were two responses to this post, they'd both show up; maybe someone else can figure out how to do it better than this. I know next to nothing about this kind of thing). But it's pretty good I think, and hopefully helps the people who were bothered by the ID requests filling the New Posts page
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Re: How to see new posts without seeing ID requests

Post by Steve-0 »

That's pretty neat. While thinking about it there are more than a lot of ID requests and I'm very newb status still. Cactiguide.com by its very existence is why so many come with cactus ID requests. Where else would they go?
I wanted to know the best soil and care for cactus and arrived here. Had no idea that the "peat and perlite" soil mix that all store bought cactus come in is wrong - to a semi-large degree. And that plain old dirt from the yard is also wrong.
Not being able to correctly ID a large diverse variety of cactus myself...I just skip those requests most of the time. I do take a glimpse of the image posted and if I like what I see, I'll wait for a correct ID. Otherwise, yeah, way too many. One thing I've noticed on particular requests for an ID gets a 'no, it's this species' response from the OP. What? Annoying enough to ignore from now on.
I love the new post feature to do a quick browse...but mostly do my own search with key words like - pumice or water acidity or whatever.

Another thought popped in the head. Have a BIG AND BOLD section listed as Cactus ID Request Here to funnel all those seeking ID's to that sub forum category and then those who know can ID to their heart's content. Just an idea. Probably already been thought up.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Steve-0 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:11 pm That's pretty neat. While thinking about it there are more than a lot of ID requests and I'm very newb status still. Cactiguide.com by its very existence is why so many come with cactus ID requests. Where else would they go?
I wanted to know the best soil and care for cactus and arrived here. Had no idea that the "peat and perlite" soil mix that all store bought cactus come in is wrong - to a semi-large degree. And that plain old dirt from the yard is also wrong.
Not being able to correctly ID a large diverse variety of cactus myself...I just skip those requests most of the time. I do take a glimpse of the image posted and if I like what I see, I'll wait for a correct ID. Otherwise, yeah, way too many. One thing I've noticed on particular requests for an ID gets a 'no, it's this species' response from the OP. What? Annoying enough to ignore from now on.
I love the new post feature to do a quick browse...but mostly do my own search with key words like - pumice or water acidity or whatever.

Another thought popped in the head. Have a BIG AND BOLD section listed as Cactus ID Request Here to funnel all those seeking ID's to that sub forum category and then those who know can ID to their heart's content. Just an idea. Probably already been thought up.
I personally don't mind the ID requests either, I just know some people do. I think the ID and sick plant forums draw a lot of people here, which is important. My first post was about a cactus I was trying to save back when I knew absolutely nothing. Since then I've gained tons of invaluable knowledge from the forum. Most of what I've learned has probably been from here
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I see where you're coming from, but this seems worse to me than clicking on the "New posts" button. Right now, I see 26 new posts from the link you posted and 17 new threads from the new post button. I don't want to scroll through all of the multiple new posts in the same thread, I just want to see what threads have new content. I also don't mind seeing all the requests for ID. If their are multiple replies, I usually just skip over them if I don't feel like checking them out.