BCSS - impossible to ever register

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Licespray

BCSS - impossible to ever register

Post by Licespray »

I’ve tried many, many times to register to BCSS, always get stumped on the question you need to answer.
So I finally managed to get it, and it said account created.

But I can’t log in... something about the account not being activated. I used the same username as here. Didn’t receive any emails to activate it (yes I checked spam etc), and it’s been 24 hours. I even emailed the admin through the link provided on the website.

Can someone go ask for me, please?
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
phil_SK

Re: BCSS - impossible to ever register

Post by phil_SK »

Hi,
I'm a moderator on the BCSS Forum (I assume your comment is about the Forum rather than about becoming a member of the Society). However, I don't have the magic buttons needed to get new members up and running - Bill does this. I've emailed him to alert him to your pending membership and he says he'll have a look when he gets back from work.
I agree our system is a bit rubbish. We had to switch to manually approving new members after a spate of spam memberships but having a healthcare worker in charge of the Forum isn't ideal at this time! Thank you for bearing with us, Phil Crewe
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

Thanks Phil, appreciate it.

Respect to Bill for his service in this crazy time the world is in.
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

I’m on, thanks guys and gals!
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I also tried. 6 attempts to answer the question. Finally got it correct. Finished up the process and 30 days later I have not heard back.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Shane

Post by Shane »

I've made a couple unsuccessful attempts over the years too. The last I heard was I needed to contact the Bill, the website admin (his email's on their website, I don't want to post it here in case it gets picked up by spammers). I haven't gotten around to it yet. Honestly I've mostly given up though
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Bill runs the site for the BCSS (British Cactus & Succulent Society) and evidently only he can admit new members at the moment as Phil says. I cannot admit new members here as a Moderator, Daiv the Administrator does that and also quizzes you to see you are genuine plantsmen to avoid spammers.

Bill is a healthcare worker in the UK, therefore at the moment they are all working flat out due to Coronavirus. Obviously the BCSS Forum for him, at least from the point of filtering potential new members to avoid spammers, something all sites like this have to do to ensure you are really plantsmen, is on the backburner at the moment until time allows.

Unlike the American Society all British Cactus & Succulent Society Officials from the top downwards are purely honorary positions and nobody gets paid for doing it, they are all volunteers giving their time for free. They only get allowable expenses at best, for which they need to produce receipts. However stick at it since when he gets time from his medical duties he will let you on.

I have alerted Ian Thwaites, the BCSS Chairman to the problem and given him the link here, therefore I hope the backlog will be sorted as soon as possible.