Pachypodium Bispinosum ???

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Bobtme

Pachypodium Bispinosum ???

Post by Bobtme »

]Pachypodium Bispinosum ?
(See pics below)
* I am not sure this is the exact name for this cactus ir not. I believe its close but unsure; can someone identify and provide the exact name please?
* I would like to trim/shape this plant some. It is now May and I think its a little late. I live in sunny Puerto Vallarta, MX. We have mild winters 75, slightly wet, then dry warm springs/early summers (80-85), followed by hot, humid,wet summers/early fall 85-90 with 90% humidity (ugh).
* My first plant died of probably to much irrigation water - now I have learned to be very frugal with any hand water and let it get rained on when the rains come
* If anyone/everyone familiar with this plant can give me some pointers and information/schooling it would be much appreciated ! Especially when it comes to pruning i.e. how and when
* I would also like to know what size this cactus will grow to? And if this specimen could be considered rare?

Thanks !!
Attachments
89D86C4F-1DB0-4D68-8A93-B6337C6642C6.jpeg
89D86C4F-1DB0-4D68-8A93-B6337C6642C6.jpeg (280.11 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Dave Adams

Re: Pachypodium Bispinosum ???

Post by Dave Adams »

Hi there, It could be pachypodium bispinosum it does look caudiform not a cactus but caudiform plant from africa, arabia area you need only give it water when it has leaves and withhold water when it does not have leaves do no prune it and hopefully you should get pink or yellow blooms have you tried google image search for that name hopefully that should help
Bobtme

Post by Bobtme »

Much Obliged.

Hard bugger to figure out ](*,)
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

My guess would be Pachypodium saundersii, but you need to see it bloom in addition to closely examining the spination. P. saundersii has white blooms. P. bispinosum has lovely pink blooms. Neither are particularly rare. Mine are dormant from October through mid May, but I live in western New York State.
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
Bobtme

Post by Bobtme »

Hey that's - mine has white (with a very little pink) in them. I had previously cone to the conclusion that this is a Saundersii which this reaffirms, thanks.

What I am more interested now if you can help would be how best to trim and shape these plants such that theeill develop an interesting shape rather then growing leggy in multiple directions.

Thanks so much !
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

Look at lots of photos of them. They are not a neat, tidy plant. I grow mine in Western New York and my care instructions would be more on how to keep them alive the eight months a year I have them inside. I rarely even think of trimming them back here as it leaves them open to suddenly rotting. You could contact Out of Africa via their website and they could likely answer any questions. The owners are very helpful.
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
Bobtme

Post by Bobtme »

Mucho Gracias !