Agave ID

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Newton

Agave ID

Post by Newton »

Nursery purchase in Pakistan
Can anybody identify this Agave for me please
I've planted it today near to a young Bismarkia palm. I need to know its growth habits etc in order to ensure it's in the right place long term
Thanks
Chas
20200330_184315-768x1024.jpg
20200330_184315-768x1024.jpg (102.74 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Newton

Re: Agave ID

Post by Newton »

I am a lifetime avid hobby gardener and horticulturist with interest in conservation and farming
I have tropical garden in pakistan and 3 gardens in the uk ranging from sensory gardens for people with mental health needs that I designed myself to a 1960s student friendly multi complex garden with lawns etc
Here in pakistan the nomenclature of plants is still in local dialect with local names and not the Latin names although things are changing slowly.

So annoying sometimes as it can take days to properly identify tropical species plants in.particular the cacti and succulents.
Thanks guys and stay safe from this coronavirus
Chas
TimN

Post by TimN »

It looks variegated in the center of the leaf which would mean it's likely 'mediopicta". There is an Agave americana mediopicta alba. They can get quite large in the right setting, nearly 2 meters in size. Is the plant pictured 50-75 cm? Its hard to tell for certain.

If it is an A. americana, they also send out shoots to colonize the area around them.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pretty sure it's A. desmettiana
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Newton

Post by Newton »

Thanks guys
TimN
I dont think its agave Americana mediopicta Alba as I have the americana with golden yellow varoegation and it's not like that as it doesn't have the spines along the leaf edge or significant ones at the terminals.
EllieStephane
I think your right having looked at online pics it's very similar to agave desmettiana v quicksilver
Some people online describe it as rare. For sure in the selection of fifty or so agave on sale this was unusual and a solitary specimen. I liked it because the silvery grey would reflect or pick out the silvery tones of the bismarkia.
Thanks
Chas