Dead growing tips on Cleistocactus winteri

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Cactusrocks

Dead growing tips on Cleistocactus winteri

Post by Cactusrocks »

Dear learned friends,
Please see the picture of my Golden Monkey Tail cactus's growing tips where most, about a dozen, have gone brown-black and have clearly died during the winter.
2020-03-18 16_26_36-P1010671.JPG ‎- Photos.jpg
2020-03-18 16_26_36-P1010671.JPG ‎- Photos.jpg (119.01 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
Now that the growing season is starting (mid-March), there are several new offsets beginning to develop, so the rest of the plant seems reasonably healthy. It is the only mature specimen with this problem out of about 60 cacti that I have growing on south-facing window-sills, including a Silver Monkey Tail cactus (ssp. colademononis) that is nearby. However, a few of last year's Rebutia seedlings have the same problem. So does anyone have a diagnosis? Clearly, this specimen will never win any shows, but I would like to avoid the problem next winter. Just a few more details, In some other plants I have a bit of a problem with both root and ordinary mealy bug, but I don't think that this one is significantly affected. On this matter I look forward to trying some of the remedies that you have kindly provided in earlier replies, once the growing season is in full swing. There's a bit of red spider around as well. Grateful thanks in advance for insight and solutions.