pseudolithos seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Jangaudi

Re: pseudolithos seeds

Post by Jangaudi »

That said, roughly how often do they need water, especially in the early weeks?
After you take them out of the baggies / open the container, I'd say once a week would be ok, later on a bit less frequent. Now during winter mine are down to a few drops every two weeks, and they barely wrinkle. If you keep your eyes open you would be fine. Desert plants don't dry up in a short period of time, unless in direct sunlight or extreme heat. They slowly start to get wrinkles and then you're good to go for sure ;)
I personally would advise against either watering from the bottom, or watering generously from the top. The reason is that the soil stays wet for too long, as the small seedlings are unable to absorb it in time, leading to rot. Adult plants in a relatively small container can handle that much better. As described above, I prefer, and have good results with localized watering only, until they are large enough for their own pot. Just my opinion ;)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

pokie wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 am Welp, my seedlings shriveled up and died within a week of each other. I tried to only water them when the soil got dry. I wish I could get better watering instructions.

https://imgur.com/a/4zIMEpM
Are you sure they are Pseudolithos? The one on the bottom looks more like a mesemb, based on what I see hanging down. Pseudolithos should be fully spherical.

Do you have a picture when the seedlings were still fine? A Pseudolithos is easy to recognise (when alive) as a Pseudolithos), even after its germination.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Aiko wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm
pokie wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 am Welp, my seedlings shriveled up and died within a week of each other. I tried to only water them when the soil got dry. I wish I could get better watering instructions.

https://imgur.com/a/4zIMEpM
Are you sure they are Pseudolithos? The one on the bottom looks more like a mesemb, based on what I see hanging down. Pseudolithos should be fully spherical.

Do you have a picture when the seedlings were still fine? A Pseudolithos is easy to recognise (when alive) as a Pseudolithos), even after its germination.
I was going to ask the same, that leaf looks odd for a Pseudolithos
Alejandro
pokie

Post by pokie »

Aiko wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm Are you sure they are Pseudolithos? The one on the bottom looks more like a mesemb, based on what I see hanging down. Pseudolithos should be fully spherical.

I am not sure.
I don't have another photo, but the finger-like leaf is the plant itself, the white splotch below it is a piece of stone. I have dug it up in the pic trying to discern the cause of death. When alive the plant looked the same, but it was vertical. Like a little finger sticking up.
For what it's worth the seeds didn't look like typical mesemb seeds to me in that they weren't super tiny.
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

Couple of things - firstly, Pseudolithos aren't mesembs, so if you're trying to grow them with mesemb-like culture it's not going to work out too well.

That photo does look like a very sad, very stretched pseudolithos seedling to me. The only way it would be so stretched would be if it was struggling for light, though. That's issue one. Secondly, your soil looks terribly water-retentive. All that fine sand is going to hold water for weeks. Pseudolithos need exceptional drainage. Lack of light and waterlogged soil is just going to be a quick death sentence, sadly.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

pokie wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:35 am When alive the plant looked the same, but it was vertical. Like a little finger sticking up.
For what it's worth the seeds didn't look like typical mesemb seeds to me in that they weren't super tiny.
This for me sounds more like a Monilaria or Cheiridopsis. Cheiridopsis was my first idea when I saw the leaves.

Pseudolithos seeds are quite big. Very dark brown to almost black. Maybe up to half a centimeter in size? I can't remember exactly, but probably a bit like this: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/userpix ... emi4_1.jpg

If you seeds do not match up to this, I fear you have been taken. What is your source for the seeds? Köhres in Germany sells Pseudolithos seeds (https://www.kaktus-koehres.de/shop/Succ ... baad37e4db). Pricey, but you really get Pseudolithos seeds that germinate well.
pokie

Post by pokie »

Supergodzilla,

I understand that Pseudolithos and mesembs are unrelated.
Unfortunately I followed the seller's advice regarding soil. I will use a 90% pumice/organics mix next time.
As for light, I was told in this very thread to keep them shaded. Perhaps I went too far. I kept them a couple of inches outside the bright cone of a grow light I use for lithops.

Aiko,

I got the seeds from https://www.etsy.com/shop/UnusualSeeds . For what it's worth they also sent me some Cheriodopsis seeds and those looked like 50 times smaller than the alleged Pseudolithos seeds. I got another set of seeds of P. migiurtinus, and while they look different from the P. haradheranus seeds, they are generally the same size and shape. Here's a photo of my P. migiurtinus seeds.

https://imgur.com/R7irvgp

Thanks for the reference to the German store. I will try them out once I get some results from my current batch.

OK, to recap, here's my plan. I will make a 90% pumice/organics mix (is this a decent ratio?), put the seeds just under the top layer in a small pot, thoroughly wet it, and leave in a ziploc bag for 3 weeks in a dark warm place, waiting to hit high germination rate. Then I will move the pot to the edge of a grow light and water about once a week. from the top with a pipette to avoid direct contact. Does this sound reasonable? Anything I am missing? I would like to avoid more deaths. :oops:
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Anything I am missing?
- I wasn't aware the seeds needed to be slightly covered, I sowed on the surface before. Maybe someone can confirm.
- Don't forget to sterilize your pot/soil.
- Opinions differ somewhat on this, but when I open the bag/container, I like to transition for a while, like slightly open the container at first for some days, before taking it off completely, or lowering humidity inside gradually.
- make a space in the pot to stick your finger in, so you can test if the soil is really dry.
Good luck ;)
pokie

Post by pokie »

OK, I just planted the little bastards. You can see 5 of them in the pic at cardinal directions and in the center. I saved 6 more until I see how this batch does.

https://imgur.com/a/yuuHgn2

I decided to go with a plastic container this time as it's been recently cleaned and is easier to seal than a bag.
pokie

Post by pokie »

Status update:
They seem OK so far. One has an oddly brown color, but the four others are looking reasonably plump. I don't really see anything resembling roots though. I have been watering weekly with occasional sprinkling of springtails to combat mold growth.

https://imgur.com/a/8CiENXH
Miki J.

Post by Miki J. »

Hi Pokie

Read your threat on Pseudolithos seeds and growth, I have a similar thread on here about my Pseudolithos from seeds journey. You can read in their what Soil mix etc.. I used.
Those fellas are just such slow growers but I had about a 90% germination rate and out of 20 maybe 3 died, the rest grows wicked slow but alive.
I used only for the top first 1/3 in a mix of cactus soil and pumice mixed with Bonsai Jacks Succulent soil. Now this so called Succulent soil is not soil at all its various small rocks with some shreds of bark. It drains super super fast, almost instant but I presume the bark and one porous rocks retain some moister.
I use this for all my succulents and it works great. I watered my Pseudolithos seedlings for a long time only every 2 weeks, bottom watering and giving them a good soak for a minute or two. Since I switched to watering them every week I can see faster growth. I believe with such fast draining soil this buggers ask for more frequent watering.

Anyway, thanks for the thread, looking forward to see how your seedlings are going along.

Cheers
pokie

Post by pokie »

Just a quick update. With 10-15 days watering schedule, here are 7 months old seedlings
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

They seem pretty happy ! Better not repot them anywhere soon. Mine took a bit of a beating from repotting too early, but they survived, though growth was stalled for a long time.
pokie

Post by pokie »

I wonder when a time to repot is. Should I wait until they start bumping into each other? :]
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Not sure, but I think two years in the same pot should be fine, they grow rather slow anyway.