What to expect from a normal, clean cut?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
BennieAnTheJets

What to expect from a normal, clean cut?

Post by BennieAnTheJets »

So, I have posted a thread in the "Sick Cacti" forum on these guys (a Pachycereus Schottii F. Monstrosus and three Pachycereus forma mieckleyanus) and learned my lesson about using sulfur powder in the future when making a cut to keep fungi away from the start. Got the powder with help of forum members and feel equipped for the future. Thanks to everyone who helped me learn that!

This question is more in general: what to expect when making a clean cut without the power. I.e. would you expect some "normal" discoloration from the surface oxidizing, like an apple turning brown when you cut a slice, that could be considered harmless?

The thing is, I got these guys shipped to me in plastic (for some odd reason) and they had started to rot at the end - wet, dark, mushy - the whole 9 yards. With help and advice of forum members I cut them a few times, each! The last cut was super-clean, no more rot going up, utensils sterile, etc.

Still after a few days I got the edges turning black - but I still wonder if that may be normal and harmless and I would rather avoid making another cut since these guys have been through a lot, are much shorter now, and have just done a fantastic job making the 5th callus at the injured end.

Do you think I can plant them and ignore the black (it is dry and not fuzzy or raised in any way - just discolored) and they will be fine or do you think another cut is really the best idea?

The black discoloration seems to have developed at the edges where there was a lot of chlorophyll when I cut at 45 degrees around the edge. Could it be from the chlorophyll oxidizing and turning black?

A fungal infection was suspected in the other thread. Do you think the plant would do alright with that under the soil or not? Do you think it was on the surface of the plant when I made the cut or do you think it came from the air in my house? Questions, questions. I guess I could always cut some and plant some with the black and let you know what happened in way of experiment unless you have seen this before and know already.

I will use the sulfur next time for sure, but these guys have come so far without it and I don't want cut them open again and stress them again unless I really have to.

Thanks for taking another look! (first picture is old, from last cut - all other pics are from today: the black has not spread for a week or so now)

cut _clean.jpg
cut _clean.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Cut_2.jpg
Cut_2.jpg (83.52 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Cut_1.jpg
Cut_1.jpg (72.61 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Cut_3.jpg
Cut_3.jpg (96.47 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Cut_0.jpg
Cut_0.jpg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
esp_imaging

Re: What to expect from a normal, clean cut?

Post by esp_imaging »

I'd be tempted to try to root some or all. Maybe give them another week or more to air dry first.

The black colouring doesn't look like rot, although it does look a bit like a mould or fungus, possibly (fairly) harmless if a good callus is allowed to form.

Don't bury them, support them standing on their end on pure grit, perlite etc. Keep them totally dry, and be patient.
Don't expect much to happen over winter unless they are kept warm, in which case lights may be needed to prevent etiolated growth.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
BennieAnTheJets

Re: What to expect from a normal, clean cut?

Post by BennieAnTheJets »

Thank you, esp_imaging.

:D Yeah, the center looks so clean and ready to root... it is tempting to ignore the edge.

Thanks for the tip on setting them on top of a mix and not burying in this condition.