Tubercle rooting

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
DaveW

Tubercle rooting

Post by DaveW »

I have in fact rooted a Dolicholhele tubercle when the plant rotted. However I thought that small thin tubercles had to be grafted or they dried out too quick to root?

Some of us have tried to degraft Mammillaria luethyi with little success, but I came across this piece on rooting M. lutheyi tubercles on the BCSS site. Obviously one tubercle had rooted, but what percentage success they had was not stated, or what sort of atmosphere they kept them in to prevent them shrivelling before rooting?

See:-

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169060
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Re: Tubercle rooting

Post by Dodi Russell »

Congratulations on the rooting of the Dolicholhele, I have never tried it but hope to try it in the future.
This is just my opinion: I think the rooting percentage channel Mammillaria luethyi is low because it is a small tuberical with a little water contained and due to Transpiration the tuberical will shrivel up quickly so the humidity should be high to prevent the loss of too much water from the plant tubericals and the soil medium should be free from any type of fungi and other organisms . I think the humidity used for germination of seeds is required to root these tubericals( this is just what I guessed). By the way Dave at what humidity did you keep that Dolicholhele for rooting.

I have rooted offsets of cacti that were too small for rooting by placing them in a pot with dry medium the offset s were from 0.5 cm to 1.5cm in diameter and by placing them in one of my cacti seedling boxes(germination box with high humidity to germinate cacti seeds) and they produced small roots and the offset didn't rot. I recently transplanted one of those offsets and tomorrow I am going to transplant the other one. I will post a picture of the root system if I can tomorrow.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Just rooted the Dolichothele tubercle in normal UK dry greenhouse conditions on top of a normal potting mix. The tubercles are of course much larger than M. luethyi ones.
CactusInteruptus

Post by CactusInteruptus »

Is this possible? A tubercle from my M. plumosa detached, and when I looked at it, it had a small root. Amazing. Will grow into a new plant?
I love cacti! I love cacti!! I love cacti!!! :lol:
Dodi Russell

Post by Dodi Russell »

CactusInteruptus wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:10 am Is this possible? A tubercle from my M. plumosa detached, and when I looked at it, it had a small root. Amazing. Will grow into a new plant?
Have you got a picture ?
Shane

Post by Shane »

I suspect this (grafting a M. luethyii tubercle) would be possible with Pereskiopsis and parafilm. I've done some very small grafts as tests and they've all taken
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Grafting tubercles is usually OK, I see they are now grafting Mammillaria bertholdii tubercles as a propagation method. Rooting small tubercles is a different matter since they tend to dehydrate and dry out before rooting
CactusInteruptus

Dodi Russell wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:18 am
CactusInteruptus wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:10 am Is this possible? A tubercle from my M. plumosa detached, and when I looked at it, it had a small root. Amazing. Will grow into a new plant?
Have you got a picture ?
Will it live?
Attachments
IMG_20200406_210239_copy_768x1024.jpg
IMG_20200406_210239_copy_768x1024.jpg (106.25 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
Dodi Russell

Post by Dodi Russell »

I really don't know. Why don't you try and pot it up and keep the humidity high like growing cacti from seed. I have rooted tiny cuttings(offsets) this way. Good luck !
CactusInteruptus

Dodi Russell wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:13 pm I really don't know. Why don't you try and pot it up and keep the humidity high like growing cacti from seed. I have rooted tiny cuttings(offsets) this way. Good luck !
How about in a bottom watered open pot setting?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I rooted tubercles of Ariocarpus retusus and Astrophytum caput-medusae in 2012.
They were alive several years but they could never form any off-sets.

Grafted tubercles of M. pulmosa and M. luethyi could make off-sets and grew as a standard form.