A "how-to" guide on acidification

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
keith

Re: A "how-to" guide on acidification

Post by keith »

Ii wonder how accurate this device is ? Turns out it doesn't work.
Attachments
PH tester
PH tester
Capture.JPG (19.91 KiB) Viewed 18133 times
Last edited by keith on Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

keith wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:16 pm Ii wonder how accurate this device is ?
Get a set of pH buffers: 4.0, 7.0, 10.0 and test your meter. You will know the answer to your question.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

And I just searched and found a very handy way to use buffers if you don't use them frequently. These buffers come as tablets and need to be dissolved in 20 ml of Distilled water. You will need a way to measure this 20 ml. A medicine cup may well be calibrated in ml and go up to 20 ml at least. Check your pharmacy. This is a great way to calibrate your instruments if you only do it occasionally and don't want to buy the liquid buffers.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffer-Calibrati ... 42&sr=8-36
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

I have a liquid fertilizer with NPK of 7 6 11 with micronutrients where Ca / Mg ratio is around 3. My tap water ph is around 7 to 8 which I acidify to bring it to 5.5. Do you think if I add this liquid fertilizer, it will do good for my plants?
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

abhikjha wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:47 am I have a liquid fertilizer with NPK of 7 6 11 with micronutrients where Ca / Mg ratio is around 3. My tap water ph is around 7 to 8 which I acidify to bring it to 5.5. Do you think if I add this liquid fertilizer, it will do good for my plants?
See Mike's response here:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 15#p388602

Good answer in what he said, so follow his recommendation.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
7george

Post by 7george »

Everything is for sale now, no need to drain old auto batteries...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

I did some tests with the following products:

the pH meter: the Checker Plus by Hanna Instruments (Before each testing session I do a two-point calibration.)
to acidify the water: JBL pH-Minus (I have a small collection and the bottle is quite compact, might not be interesting for larger collections.)
additional products used: Vitanal (https://www.kakteen-haage.de/en/accesso ... 00-ml.html)

The first test was in 2020 and the second in 2022. Why my tap water changed from pH 7,1 to 6,5, I don't know. I did double check to make sure. Also, during the second experiment the order in which I added the products seem to influence the result. Again, I don't know why, but should probably run the experiment again.

Here are the results:

WATER pH 7,1 (city tap water, left 24h before testing)

session 1
pH 6,5 = 1L water + 11 drops JBL (0,55ml)

pH 6,0 = 1L water + 17 drops JBL (0,85ml)

session 2
pH 5,5 = 500ml water + 8 drops JBL (0,4ml) + 1,5ml Vitanal

WATER pH 6,5 (city tap water, left 24h before testing)

session 3
pH 5,7 = 500ml water + 4 drops JBL

pH 5,2 = 500ml water + 6 drops
 JBL
pH 4,1 = 500ml water + 6 drops JBL + 1,5ml Vitanal

session 4
pH 6,1 = 500ml water + 1,5ml Vitanal
pH 5,9 = 500ml water + 1,5ml Vitanal + 2 drops
 JBL
pH 5,3 = 500ml water + 1,5ml Vitanal + 4 drops JBL
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I tend to use citric acid, not with every watering, but quite often.
I use food grade citric acid that I buy at stores that sell Indian foods.

I don't test the pH, I just use around a teaspoon per gallon, or less when I combine it with soluble fertilizers, but I typically taste a few drops of the solution and have yet to notice a sour flavor.

I consider citric acid to be both a pH adjuster and plant nutrient.
ChaoticN

Post by ChaoticN »

Nobody wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 pm I typically taste a few drops of the solution and have yet to notice a sour flavor.
Surly your not tasting water with fertilizer in it? That can’t be good for you man.
Zone 6B, Kentucky. 860ft Elevation.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Just read this article tonight, and went over the whole thread again. Thanks for posting the Bonsai club potting soil experiment article Keith. Good information regarding Turface and how it holds so much water and decomposes fairly quickly. I bought two 50 lb bags of it a few years ago. I have used one. I don't remember how much I used in my cactus mix. I'm going to have to check.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
keith

Post by keith »

hi Jerry, yea they don't like it at least for bonsai . years ago I noticed it caused fungus on my cactus seedlings so don't use it.

Might be fine in a dry place like Phoenix AZ ?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Turface can be used in Planted Aquariums. Should be OK for African Violets too.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

I apologize for resurrecting relatively old thread, and I'm not sure if this is right thread at all, but I would like to discuss the effect of chlorine in tap water on our plants. It is somewhat confusing subject for me for I always thought water should be kept in an open dish for at least 24h to "let the chlorine evaporate". Now I have found out two facts:

1. Chlorine that is added to the tap water is remarkably stable and evaporate very slowly (it would certainly take much more than 24h for it to go away completely). Only reliable and effective way to get rid of it is to run the water through the activated charcoal filter.
2. Added chlorine (at least is my area) is relatively small: 0.2 mg per 1 liter of water. That would be 0.0002 g/l or 0.00002%

I can't find any data about acceptable levels of chlorine in water used for plants, but I often see that fertilizers and/or commercial substrates state "Low ammount of chlorine", which means that they contain some ammount of it.

Thank you everyone in advance for any insight regarding this issue.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Nino_G wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:24 am I apologize for resurrecting relatively old thread, and I'm not sure if this is right thread at all, but I would like to discuss the effect of chlorine in tap water on our plants. It is somewhat confusing subject for me for I always thought water should be kept in an open dish for at least 24h to "let the chlorine evaporate". Now I have found out two facts:

1. Chlorine that is added to the tap water is remarkably stable and evaporate very slowly (it would certainly take much more than 24h for it to go away completely). Only reliable and effective way to get rid of it is to run the water through the activated charcoal filter.
2. Added chlorine (at least is my area) is relatively small: 0.2 mg per 1 liter of water. That would be 0.0002 g/l or 0.00002%

I can't find any data about acceptable levels of chlorine in water used for plants, but I often see that fertilizers and/or commercial substrates state "Low ammount of chlorine", which means that they contain some ammount of it.

Thank you everyone in advance for any insight regarding this issue.
First of all, I keep meaning to post a new "how to" presentation since the one I originally posted in 2019 is missing key information I wasn't aware of at the time. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do it yet, but I will soon.

Regarding the chlorine issue, see this:

https://www.gardenmyths.com/chlorine-chloramine-plants/

The article mentions a potential chlorine problem in hydroponics, but none of us are growing cacti hydroponically even if the potting medium is a pure "semi-hydroponic" mineral gravel mix.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:24 pm Regarding the chlorine issue, see this:

https://www.gardenmyths.com/chlorine-chloramine-plants/

The article mentions a potential chlorine problem in hydroponics, but none of us are growing cacti hydroponically even if the potting medium is a pure "semi-hydroponic" mineral gravel mix.
Thank you Steve! Very informative article, I learned a lot.