Adromischus leaf cuttings

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Jangaudi

Adromischus leaf cuttings

Post by Jangaudi »

Hi all, I remember reading that leaf cutting propagation of adromischus is rather easy, so I gave it a go. However, I failed to grasp at first, that I was supposed to just tear off the leaf. So what I did is cut it off with a knife at the base somewhere. It didn't really start rooting so far but the base of the leaf already started drying out and getting all shriveled. So I was wondering....what if I would just cut the bad part off, let it dry for a day or 2 and then trying again, would that still work ? I am cutting into the leaf itself quite a bit then actually. I'm trying with Adromischus filicaulis.
Thanks !
greenknight

Re: Adromischus leaf cuttings

Post by greenknight »

The only part that will grow roots is right where it attached to the stem, cutting off more of it will just doom any chance it might have.
Spence :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

greenknight wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 pm The only part that will grow roots is right where it attached to the stem, cutting off more of it will just doom any chance it might have.
^^ Yes.

Snap entire leaves off (Normally very easy to do with Adromischus).
The base of each leaf has a very strong capacity to grow roots and shoots. If the base is missing, your chances of a successful cutting are close to zero.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

There are some plants where pieces of leaves will root - Sansevierias, for instance, but they are a very different type of plant, they're a monocot like a grass. Many large-leaved Begonias are capable of producing roots from their prominent leaf veins. These are exceptions, though, as a general rule the leaf axil (where the leaf connects to the stem) is the only part of the leaf capable of producing roots (if they will grow from leaf cuttings at all)
Spence :mrgreen:
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Thanks,
I will just leave the first cutting for a while longer, you never know, as it was cut close to the base, but not right at. Good thing is I got enough leaves left on the mother plant for another go ;)
7george

Post by 7george »

leaves been shed by chance are good material for propagation: just bury the base and water it regularly.
Adr-cup_97.JPG
Adr-cup_97.JPG (89.67 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I did get that old leaf to root after all...just put it on the heat pad for a few weeks. So it seems ripping off the leaves is not imperative to rooting, but probably favorable ;) I got some marianae herrei leaves rooting as well ;)
adro.jpg
adro.jpg (125.38 KiB) Viewed 3164 times