Crossbreeding

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
SleepForeverLS

Crossbreeding

Post by SleepForeverLS »

I'm wanting to try crossbreeding two fruit-bearing cacti, primarily just to see the result, if there is one, and if the result bears fruit itself, use it to make kompot and jam.
The two cacti I'm wanting to try crossbreeding are hylocereus undatus and opuntia humifusa.
I'm new to this so if my question and idea is obviously stupid and impossible, I apologize.
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Re: Crossbreeding

Post by Dodi Russell »

I think you can cross breed only the same species of cacti like opuntia humifusa ×opuntia monocantha .I may be wrong because I am also new to this topic
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Dodi Russell wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 am I think you can cross breed only the same species of cacti like opuntia humifusa ×opuntia monocantha .I may be wrong because I am also new to this topic
Those are not the same species, they're the same genus.

Most intergeneric cactus hybrids are not possible, but there are a substantial number which are (Ferocactus x Leuchtenbergia, Thelocactus x Leuchtenbergia, Cleistocactus x Echinopsis, Pachycereus x Bergerocactus) and intergeneric hybrids also appear in the wild from time to time.
SleepForeverLS

Post by SleepForeverLS »

Aloinopsis wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:42 pm
Dodi Russell wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 am I think you can cross breed only the same species of cacti like opuntia humifusa ×opuntia monocantha .I may be wrong because I am also new to this topic
Those are not the same species, they're the same genus.

Most intergeneric cactus hybrids are not possible, but there are a substantial number which are (Ferocactus x Leuchtenbergia, Thelocactus x Leuchtenbergia, Cleistocactus x Echinopsis, Pachycereus x Bergerocactus) and intergeneric hybrids also appear in the wild from time to time.
well, why not try it i guess? if it doesn't work, i'll still have the two
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

Very likely incompatible. They’re pretty far separated in the family.
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed, it probably won't work - but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Spence :mrgreen:
Shane

Post by Shane »

Not only are in different genera, but different sub-families as well. I'd say try it and tell us how it works though. I bet nobody's ever tried it so who knows...
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction