What's the longest wait time you've had from pollination to fruit seed body?

Create seed of your own
Pereskiopsisdotcom

What's the longest wait time you've had from pollination to fruit seed body?

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

I'm curious because most of my Turbinicarpus go from pollination to seeds in the dried flower in 10 days or less whereas most of my Lophophora take weeks, one as long as seven weeks now.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Aloinopsis

Re: What's the longest wait time you've had from pollination to fruit seed body?

Post by Aloinopsis »

Some of my hybrid Schlumbergera can take 10 months or more for fruit to ripen. Sometimes it will turn red but is not ripe because it is still firmly attached to the plant. I wait until it comes off easily, the way it would for a small bird trying to eat it, before I take it to harvest seeds. It's not unheard of for me to realize that are fruit began setting more than a year before and any given plant may have a flowers and fully formed fruit at the same time from different years.

These plants are highly inbred and have been selected extremely heavily, so I don't know how or whether it is the same situationin habitat. It could be but I just don't know either way.
Aiko

Re: What's the longest wait time you've had from pollination to fruit seed body?

Post by Aiko »

Conophytum can also take 10 months. Ariocarpus might be a little bit quicker, but not much.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

A bunch of my mammillarias take a year or more to set fruit. It's pretty annoying since i have to wait a year to sow seeds
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

20190705_154509-618x725.jpg
20190705_154509-618x725.jpg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
This orange Schlumbergera bloomed October 17, 2018 and I pollinated it by hand with a pink-and white variety.

This is the fruit today, 9.5 months later. It has recently turned deep red which is a good sign, but it is still firm instead of soft and it will not come off easily.
Therefore the seeds are not fully ripe so I will continue to wait. I expect it to be ripe in the next few weeks.

Here is a flower from.the same plant (and why I bred it).
FB_IMG_1562356357754-463x512.jpg
FB_IMG_1562356357754-463x512.jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

I'm reminded more and more each day of how this is a hobby of patience.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.