vitt13's grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
vitt13

Re: vitt13's grafts

Post by vitt13 »

I started to show there
and here are the update on grafts Loph. seedlings
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

and some time later I did a few more grafts on rooted Pereskiopsis cuttings.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

vitt13, I have to check up with you and see how your grow lights are treating you. Have you noticed a particular kelvin that produces better or worse results for a given plant. I've been trying out some Samsung diodes with Meanwell drivers on on heat sink boards similar to HLG's Quantum Board line at about 65 watts each. I've been staggering 3000K and 4000k boards across six feet on several shelves (four per shelf). Initially, they were within a foot of a variety of grafts on Pereskiopsis and backup rootstock. I have since adjusted the light to almost two feet (24 inches) away from the canopy because growth was red and almost burned. However, I have noticed growth has been very tight and thick, no etiolation.

I'm still keeping my HO T5 running with 6500K and some 3000K staggered in because they have always performed best with seedlings and were my go to for recent grafts too. The change to LED has been due in large part to the cost of electricity. By doing my DIY LED boards I'm cutting my energy costs in almost half. I just have to find the right hanging height and colour temperature.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Rana

Post by Rana »

vitt13 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:48 am I was so inspired with Frank's (Hanazono) grafting story but I struggled with rotting Pereskiopsis in my earliest seedlings grafts.

On May 24th, 2018 I sowed many species of cacti. I read the stories of Frank's grafting and I was very inspired by them.
I planned to graft several spieces of seedlings on a Pereskiopsis to accelerate seedlings growth.
They were look very good and promising.

But as a beginner, I was not successful in rooting Pereskiopsis cuttings, they rotted.
In the first days of August 2018, I placed the Pereskiopsis cuttings for rooting them but after two weeks they did not have roots.
At the same time, Ferocactus seedlings began to get deceased one by one.
I grafted the last survived Ferrocactus seedling on an unrooted Pereskiopsis shoot.
But mildew threads appeared in the humidity chamber around seedling, and reddish tissue is appeared.
After that, I made a few more seedlings grafts on unrooted pereskiopsis cuttings, and placed them in a wet sand. Placed them in the humidity chamber.
I noticed that some seedlings outwardly were not bad, but on the cut the conducting bundles were of red color.
These seedlings quickly faded away with the burning of tissues after grafting.
But what I didn’t notice right away - the infection hit the Pereskiopsis core and went down.
So for the week, the remaining cuttings in the common pot were infected.
Aug 16, 2018
Seedlings which were not very bad looking and had good conducting bundles on the cut, I urgently grafted on the young growth of Opuntia monacantha f. monstruosa variegata.
I needed a lot of Opuntia segments, but they were too small, many grafts were not successful, some grafted seedlings were reddish from below.
Acanthocalycium glaucum
Frailea angelesii n.n. P390
Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus
FRAILEA phaeodisca GF 558
Matucana madisoniorum
Echinofossulocactus
Astrophytum hybrid
Opuntia humifusa
HI, it is april 2020. How many of those opuntia grafted seedling survived and how is the growth?
Rana

Post by Rana »

update photo
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Rana wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:43 am
vitt13 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:48 amAug 16, 2018
Seedlings which were not very bad looking and had good conducting bundles on the cut, I urgently grafted on the young growth of Opuntia monacantha f. monstruosa variegata.
I needed a lot of Opuntia segments, but they were too small, many grafts were not successful, some grafted seedlings were reddish from below.
HI, it is april 2020. How many of those opuntia grafted seedling survived and how is the growth?
Nothing to update, all of those opuntia grafted seedling died. They were infected and infection had spread to opuntia rootstock. I tried some fungicide treatment with hydrogen peroxide solution 3% but I made it worse. It was just an experience, bad experience.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

vitt13 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:56 pm I started to show there
and here are the update on grafts Loph. seedlings
Update:
One seedling is on the way to be crested!
DSC09511 - Copy.jpg
DSC09511 - Copy.jpg (92.98 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
DSC09514 - Copy.jpg
DSC09514 - Copy.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

vitt13 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 amHere they are potted
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Here they are now
DSC09454 - Copy.jpg
DSC09454 - Copy.jpg (169.31 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
DSC09455 - Copy.jpg
DSC09455 - Copy.jpg (165.95 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
DSC09456 - Copy.jpg
DSC09456 - Copy.jpg (160.79 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
DSC09453 - Copy.jpg
DSC09453 - Copy.jpg (70.71 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
DSC09457.jpg
DSC09457.jpg (98.67 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
DSC09460.jpg
DSC09460.jpg (108.98 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
DSC09461.jpg
DSC09461.jpg (111.49 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
DSC09463.jpg
DSC09463.jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
DSC09488 - Copy.jpg
DSC09488 - Copy.jpg (186.51 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

I had six mature Adeniums obesum, four ordinary 'Pink', one 'pink-and-yellow' cultivar and one 'rosa-like' cultivar.
Lost one from rot and one given away as a birthday gift, so now I have only four.

Rootstocks in 15 Feb 2020.

Scion was early grafted branch that I grafted more than year ago. I did it to save at least something from died by root rot 'rosa-like' Adenium (and then it had completely died).
Rescued 'rosa-like' scion branch was in flowering this winter.

Preparing to graft. 10th May I've removed all leaves on the scion's stem and on the targeting stems on the rootstocks.
17th May I made the grafts. I made a few cuttings and grafted them with flat method.

To fix the scion I used the double sided 3M tape. The first I sticked it around the stock's stem, then placed two parts of tape in tight.
And then I covered the grafts with the film for one and half weeks.
After that time I removed the film and used the pruning sealer to seal the open surfaces and scars.

Also there was a young growing stem with flowering buds on the scion so it's been also grafted on the seedling stock with the Parafilm M tape.

In present days there are some buds start growing. The smallest graft lost the flower buds as expected.

vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Grafting material is matter so I used top part (apex) of cuttings and did some micrografts on the seedlings.
and this one is update from previous post
Jul 9
And today
Here is revealing monstrosa( or cristata?) form Loph. that I showed previous here https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 30#p371643
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Wow! Great post with beautiful photos and valuable experience, many thanks!
(As for your mode of degrafting, it depends of many conditions and luck also, many years ago I had more than 10 plans on "hidden" pereskiopsis, but nowdays they're only 2).
Hope, it will be coninued?
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

anttisepp wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:42 pm Wow! Great post with beautiful photos and valuable experience, many thanks!
(As for your mode of degrafting, it depends of many conditions and luck also, many years ago I had more than 10 plans on "hidden" pereskiopsis, but nowdays they're only 2).
Hope, it will be coninued?
Thank you.
Few Fraileas and one Obregonia lost hidden Pereskiopsis this winter but get own roots this spring. I rooted few Freileas, Aylostera heliosa, Sulcorebutia rauschii cuttings and Echinofossulocactus offsets. Few Astrophytum pups I rooted and few grafted on Echinopsis.
vitt13 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:50 am These plants have adapted to full sun and I plan to plant them in "the small garden" next weekend (except lithops which I'll place next to "garden" stay in pots with existing cat protection cover).
This picture is a bit outdated, the plants already replaced to "the garden". So I inspected the roots and rootstocks recently during planting.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Two of three Astrophytums on hidden rootstock were in flower at mid June. It was not really red flower but in some moment at beginning it was like.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Here is an update on the post https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 77#p365677
All are ordinary, none are variegated...
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
and update on the post https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 77#p376260
I guess it's not crested but looks like multi-headed, probably polytomy (polychotomy) like Strombocactus disciformis forma polytomica?
Image Image Image Image
and few older photographs
Image Image Image Image
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

I lost another one (biggest) from the last photograph https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p364446
and had to re-graft the smallest one to save it.
Here is it after successful grafting
Image Image

and the new growth
Image Image