Cleistocactus smaragdiflorus?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
vs1969

Cleistocactus smaragdiflorus?

Post by vs1969 »

I have lost my identification of this one. Cleistocactus smaragdiflorus? Never flowered unfortunately.
cereus1.jpg
cereus1.jpg (132.96 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
cereus2.jpg
cereus2.jpg (154.91 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Lucy_V

Re: Cleistocactus smaragdiflorus?

Post by Lucy_V »

Smaragdiflorus seems like a good match, although Cleistocactus hyalacanthus ssp. tarijensis may be a possibility also. Flowers will definitely resolve the mystery.
vs1969

Post by vs1969 »

Thanks! Yes, they both seem to fit. Will wait for flowering (it was bought 5-6 years ago as a young plant so it is not much older, now it is about 40cm high).
vs1969

Post by vs1969 »

While repotting, the old seller's label was found buried in the soil. According to this label, the seller identified it (tentatively - with a question mark) as C.brookeae v.flavispinus (listed just as C.brookeae in many sources). To me, C.hyalacanthus or C.smaragdiflorus still look more likely as this cactus has quite distinct central spines which C.brookeae lacks.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Definitely not C. brookeae; however, Lucy_V's suggestions are both good. I personally lean towards C. smaragdiflorus as C. tupizensis centrals tend to be a bit more brownish and not as golden, but certainly within potential variability.
Can't wait to see the flowers!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

C. brookeae (syn. C. wendlandiorum) is quite a different plant, the spines looking more like C. straussii, but can be white ot have a slight yellowish tinge. However the flowers are completely different being bent like a tea or coffee pot spout. As said in the link below, whether the stems grow upright or eventually hang down the flowers still bloom with the bend the correct way up, as does it's relation C. vulpis-cauda which tends to become pendulous even quicker. No doubt if the flowers did not orientate themselves independent of the stems the nectar would fall out when the stem became pendant?

See:-

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161912
vs1969

Post by vs1969 »

It finally flowered this year, and I am now quite certain it is Cleistocactus hyalacanthus ssp. tarijensis. It is quite a nice plant now, with 2 stems still going in parallel (now circa 70cm high), and 2 smaller ones continuing the growth.

Cleistocactus hyalacanthus ssp. tarijensis1.jpg
Cleistocactus hyalacanthus ssp. tarijensis1.jpg (98.4 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Cleistocactus hyalacanthus ssp. tarijensis2.jpg
Cleistocactus hyalacanthus ssp. tarijensis2.jpg (126.13 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

I think you nailed it!
Beautiful plant!
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I noted very big differense in size between C straussii and C hyalacanthus in my collection. The second one is much smaller and tiny.
PS What plant to the right on the last pic? Stenocereus - ?
vs1969

Post by vs1969 »

Our C.straussii with 3 branches is not much higher, but the branches are thicker.
To the right is Pachycereus pectin-aboriginum from the local plant shop (cutted branch top), grows quite irregularly, this year has yet to start. Last year it did better:
Pachycereus pectin-aboriginum.JPG
Pachycereus pectin-aboriginum.JPG (127.05 KiB) Viewed 787 times