Growing from seed outdoors

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Aloinopsis

Growing from seed outdoors

Post by Aloinopsis »

Do any of y'all grow cold-hardy cacti from seed outdoors?

How does it differ from the "bag method" of growing tender cacti from seed indoors?

I'm just curious to see (or hear about) results of people who have done this, whether it's Echinocereus, Opuntia, or whatever cold-hardy cactus.
7george

Re: Growing from seed outdoors

Post by 7george »

Just toss as many seeds as you have on to your garden and then patiently wait for years. The surviving rate is low, close to the natural one that is less then 1% or 0.1% for cacti from seed to mature plant. Mine are still young plants.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Just tossing and waiting doesn't seem efficient.

You wouldn't do that for vegetables or ornamental flowers. I wouldn't, at least. I'd think you'd benefit from preparing the site and tending to it every once in a while, at the very least.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

As a Canadian, I have been attempting to put together a collection of our three native species of cacti that are only growing outdoors. So far I have only been able to keep the Opuntia stable and reproducing consistently each year. That said, I've started about two dozen species of Escobaria and Echinocereus from seed with known location data proving they can handle the cold. I start all of them inside in trays like I do all others. They go out after about two years of growth.

The first challenge I experienced was getting seeds to germinate. Most of them require a freeze before they germinate. Others, especially Opuntia have been difficult even after that and sometimes sprout months after planting.The greatest challenge I've had is keeping them alive outside after a spring freeze-thaw cycle. They seem to be susceptible to rot during this seasonal change.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

I have some Pediocactus that weren't sprouting outside for several weeks, so I begin watering them every day with ice and just letting it melt. A few of them actually sprouted during that process.
Hallow

Post by Hallow »

Having cold and wet springs here too I been fighting with early spring rot as well. Some I been digging up and putting them in my garage until they start to pump out a little then putting them outdoors. That seems to work but digging them up is a real pain in the hands and backside. LoL. Plants probably don't like it either. This year I am going to try something different. When they start shriveling again I am going to cover them with a low wooden box I made with them and keep them on until they start to plump up again. Hopefully that keeps the cold rain off of them.