Tapatalk or other solution

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
SCS

Tapatalk or other solution

Post by SCS »

Hi-

I would like to participate more often on this forum, but the problem is the amount of processing time for pictures to be acceptable to the forum. Not complaining, just too time consuming for me.

I havent used Tapatalk yet, but it appears that it allows a user to comment and create pictures easily.

If it works the way I would imagine, is a connection between Tapatalk and Cactiguide a possibility in the future?
Is there another option for forums on a mobile device?

I prefer to use my iPad. When I resize pics to post here, I would have to delete them later. I am always on the edge of my allowed GB usage on my cloud as it is.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Thanks!
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
Douglas Firsure

Re: Tapatalk or other solution

Post by Douglas Firsure »

I use tapatalk for an outdoors forum here in Alberta and I love the ease of use. I thought it was stupid at first, but it's much sleeker and simpler for mobile users than the regular site. Its probably worth looking into, as lots of people only have a mobile device and not a computer. Maybe get more users interested in the site as well since it's all connected with other users/forums
7george

Post by 7george »

Cacti are time consuming and train us to be patient. :D

Haven't tried that Tapatalk and do not need to use it. There are many other solutions. With latest changes I don't upload any photos to Flickr.com but I'm still using it. They have an (Android) app that can do Auto-upload for all images you ever take or store at your device. From there you have at least two choices: to share that photo with a direct link in the forum or download a resized image and upload/ attach it when posting here. The file sizes are very descent.

Agave utahensis kaibabensis in GrandCanyon, AZ. This file is just 319 kb and can be attached here as well.

I don't know how to help with cropping, sharpening or other optimization of images, maybe some camera setups will work to save you time.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
SCS

Post by SCS »

I was hoping to get more response in regard to this topic, but I did not elaborate on why.
Aside from the self serving ease of being able to post faster myself, I think there would be a lot more participation if this forum embraced the ease of use by mobile users. Many people, especially younger people, are opting to solely use their mobile device instead of additionally using a PC. As PCs die, people are not replacing as their smart phones fill the void.
On another forum, I just made my first post using Tapatalk. It was SO easy! There was no picture resizing. After initial set up, I just posted and selected my pictures. EASY!
CactiGuide has a wealth of information and some really awesome contributors. The participation level is way down from 10 years ago. Understandably, Facebook has made an impact. However, other forums still get a lot of participation. I am also a member of Dendroboard, and they too have a lot of activity. Terraforum is another. Both use Tapatalk!
I am not suggesting that Tapatalk is the answer, but something should be considered.
The connection to Tapatalk seems easy. I am wondering... who is driving the ship in terms of decision making powers for this forum??

PLEASE. Let's discuss this.
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I dont know Tapatalk, never used...so I cant tell too much about but:

1. It gives me a lot of "work" to put updates about my greenhouse. I would like to do it more frequently but I usually give up because of the "place inline" thing and etc....

2. On the other hand, I dont like the Facebook/Instagran format, because discussions are superficial compared to those we have here, its a "photo" thing with little contribution.

So, something in the middle of this extremes would be good...if we could just edit our post more easily...
7george

Post by 7george »

SCS wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:31 am ...
On another forum, I just made my first post using Tapatalk. It was SO easy! There was no picture resizing. After initial set up, I just posted and selected my pictures. EASY!
"Easy" is not always the best solution. If you not dedicate more of your time and attention, efforts, you would not succeed with cacti growing.

Tapatalk obviously is not so perfect if can not be used in this forum like at other websites.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8