How much rain is enough for my cactus?

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
DuarteDave

How much rain is enough for my cactus?

Post by DuarteDave »

We are getting some decent days of colder rain here in Southern California, about an inch past few days with more on the way in a few days..4 days non stop.
Should I leave them out in it? I hear it's good for them but I am concerned about too much.
It's in the upper 40's and 50's at night here.
Thanks.
ElieEstephane

Re: How much rain is enough for my cactus?

Post by ElieEstephane »

I'm conducting an inhumane experiment with some unwanted cacti in the rain. It has been raining like crazy since the start of december and they haven't died yet :lol: they are supposed to be warmth loving species (some pilosocereus and polaskia..) but have tolerated 46 degrees at night while soaked.
Anyway, a good rainwater drench is good for the roots but since they are dormant, it can lead to rot so personally i'd stay on the safe side and bring them in. A free draining mix greatly reduces risk of rot but does not eliminate it.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DuarteDave

Post by DuarteDave »

Ok.
The 2 I'm concerned the most about (but probably should not be) are my Ferocactus and Saguaro..both juvenile but I have had for some time, giving hose water mostly. Both look good.
It tends to get hot here in the summer months..95-110°
I'm in Southern Cal.
Another question. What do you guys do in Southern Cal, Southern Arizona, deserts, etc?
Leave them in full sun? Shade?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think it is not always getting wet, but how long the soil stays wet afterwards, or if they get wet out of their normal growing season. However keeping them dry is no problem, just throw a bit of clear polyethene sheet over them until it stops raining.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I know Upper Sonoran Desert saguaros are used to winter rains where it only occasionally freezes (as are Ferocactus wislizenii). In fact, we've had a bunch of rain here in southern Arizona over the last four weeks or so. In your climate, I think your plants will be fine unless the pots are overly saturated, as Dave suggests. Both saguaro and Ferocactus can handle full sun, but a safe plan is to acclimate them at first with some kind of sun filter. And if you move them around, particularly with saguaros, keep track of their orientation. You can't go wrong with partial shade.
DuarteDave

Post by DuarteDave »

Ok, thanks.
They seem to be drying out just fine and look to be liking the sunny days.
Our next rain is coming in next week. My Pilosocereus are really liking it as I expected they would.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As Tumamoc says with acclimatising plants to sun, the same applies with cold. If the plants have always been grown in warm winter conditions like a house they are more likely to mark if suddenly subjected to colder ones unless it is a gradual process and they are already dried out and dormant so the sap has thickened as a natural antifreeze.
DuarteDave

Post by DuarteDave »

All my plants are seasoned outdoor plants. No need for acclimation.
All in pots, well drained soil.