What are you all reading?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
saboten

Re: What are you all reading?

Post by saboten »

We are winding down to the final days of the solar year, and I have realized that I am 5 books behind my goal I set for 2018! (For the past few years I have set goals of how many books to read). Still, I think I can do it, since just a few weeks ago I was 10 books behind. Here are a few of the books I've finished lately:

In Winter's Kitchen by Beth Dooley
This is a food book, which is something kind of new for me to read as I don't consider myself a 'foodie' (I will eat anything :D). However, I rather enjoyed it, as it outlined various foods native or commonly eaten in Minnesota, USA (my home state). It also included several recipes at the end. 4/5

Secrets of the Cat by Barbara Holland
After taking in my first pet cat, I figured I'd like to read up a little about the creatures. I got this book for 1 dollar used, and I really enjoyed it! it is a non-scientific treatment of cats as pets, with many personal anecdotes from the author or her friends. Even as it is humorous in tone, one can still learn something. 5/5 for entertainment.

The Sybil by Par Lagerkvist
This book was another I got for next to no money. It is a parable-like novel of the history of a priestess and her relationship to her god as well as to humankind. It is a little creepy, and it's not my favorite type of book to read. Still, it was very interesting and thought provoking, so I give 4/5 even though I don't generally enjoy these types of novels.

Night Flying Woman: An Ojibway Narrative
by Ignatia Broker
This book is a narrative of the life of Oona, and Ojibway woman who came of age at the same time that the traditional ways of life began to change and be taken away by white folk coming into Minnesota. The language is plain but descriptive; I think this book could be good for adolescents to read as well as adults to gain some perspective on indigenous lives historically. 3.5/5

Our Land was a Forest by Kayano Shigeru (western way Shigeru Kayano)
I also got this book for cheap at a thrift store, but I would have paid full price for it had I known about it. It is the memoir of an Ainu man who was born in 1927 (this memoir finished in the 80s, I believe). He tells of his life, but also tells a bit about what he knew about his parents' and grandparents' lives as Ainu, during the time that the shamo (Mainland Japanese) first began to invade Ainu country and people. However, as far as retelling his own life, he manages to keep special details included while also keeping it readable and concise. I finished this quickly as I found it extremely interesting. 5/5

bwah! I better get to reading some more right now if I want to make my goal! :study:
ihoptdk

Post by ihoptdk »

I’m muddling through Skeleton Crew by Stephen King as a prolonged detour from going through Modern Librarians greatest 100 novels. Conrad was boring me silly so I went through some guilty pleasures.
7george

Post by 7george »

I read several books at time and many of those I never finish. Or maybe some day in the future...

Some recent ones:

The Broken God by David Zindell

UNIVERSAL LAW, NATURAL SCIENCE AND LIVING PHILOSOPHY
by Walter Russell & Lao Russell
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

Started 2 more: - Neverness by David Zindell;
- The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
PenguinANC

Post by PenguinANC »

I'm currently reading Veins of Gold by Charlie N Holmberk. 'Tis an interesting book!
J-M

Post by J-M »

Right now I am reading Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History.
I did not visit the Texas Panhandle yet, but reading this book I can feel what it was like to be on the Llano estacado at that time.

Prior to this book I read The Apache Wars: The Hunt for Geronimo, the Apache Kid, and the Captive Boy Who Started the Longest War in American History.
I first read this book 2-3 years ago, but last September I decided to read it again just before going on a trip to southern Arizona. It is crazy to be visiting the Mission San Xavier del Bac, the Dragoon Mountains, Fort Bowie, etc ... knowing the part they played in the history of the south west.
saboten

Post by saboten »

Those books sound interesting, J-M. I have been trying to read more American Indian related literature, maybe I'll add those to my list.

Currently, I'm reading Fire: A Brief History by Stephen Pyne. Apparently it is like a distillation of his other more detailed books about fire, and therefore very dense. It's thought-provoking, as I've never thought too hard about fire's central role in all forms of life. It seems obvious, but until it's all pointed out, it rarely crossed the mind.
Besides that, I'm slowly working through Cycads of the World by David Jones.
AusNick89

Post by AusNick89 »

I'm reading Catcher in the Rye, can't believe I've never read it before to be honest...That and some crude joke book too haha.
Vate1984

Post by Vate1984 »

I also found The Dark Tower series by Stephen King quite interesting.
So far I dipped into a book called "Three cups of tea" by Greg Mortenson, his autobiography. The guy from Minnesota was seriously injured while climbing K-2, the most dangerous mountain on Earth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2
People of the nearby village literally saved him, and he promised to help them in return. How he did it, you can find out in the book.
It's available on Amazon
Honestly saying, reading belongs to one of my favorite activities. I even skipped some paper writing at the university, asked these guys for help, to have more time to read.
I hope you will like the book!
bitcohen

Post by bitcohen »

I'm reading now "Journey to the End of the Night" by Louis-Ferdinand Celine. The book revealed in front of me all the cruelties of the capitalist and imperialist system, showed the power of human life and its importance before patriotism, nationalism, the monetary system, and so on. I want to read the books of the author that preceded this book.
7george

Post by 7george »

If you act as Nero Wolfe better first read it out... 8)
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8