Greenhouse in Australia?

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Auscactus

Greenhouse in Australia?

Post by Auscactus »

Hi everyone, cheers for having a read.

So I'm in Australia, Mediterranean kind of climate. It's coming into/already the time that I really want to start bringing stuff out into the sun but I'm worked about possibly too bright direct light in the peak of summer. I'm thinking about building a poly tunnel greenhouse about 3m wide X 4.5m long by about 1.9m tall at the peak of the roof (I'm short so this is plenty of headroom for me).
Roughly 9' 10" X 14' 9" X 6' 3" for those who prefer it.
Basically, I'd just love some feedback. Not entirely sure on what kind of film I should be getting for the skin, other than that it should be UV stabilised. Hoping to skin the whole thing then cover one end with shade cloth for seedlings/softer stuff.
Any info would be awesome. I have done some searching through the forums, forgive me if I've missed a post that is exactly what I'm after.

Thanks!
Licespray

Re: Greenhouse in Australia?

Post by Licespray »

Which part of aus are you from? Goes from tropical to alpine here :P

I’m SE QLD.
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
Auscactus

Post by Auscactus »

Yep, as described mate. Mediterranean type climate.
AusNick89

Post by AusNick89 »

Hey mate, I'm in WA too, from what I've seen 50-70% shadecloth works well for summer and in winter you can use the film (solarweave is good stuff). With mine I've just got some 50% shadecloth up to partly provide shelter from the midday sun/hot wind. But early morning til midday is full sun and they seem alright.

I'd definitely say be careful if bringing out from indoors etc though, you'll need to slowly acclimatize them so they don't get burnt.