Advice needed: What % shade cloth for Zone 10a? (San Diego)

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
rypasaur

Advice needed: What % shade cloth for Zone 10a? (San Diego)

Post by rypasaur »

Hi all,

In my desperation, I'll be setting up an open-air shadebox for my Astrophytum.
Does anyone have advice for what % shade cloth I should be using for Zone 10a? (San Diego area).

Again, this will be open air, so no hard roof or plastic for additional shade. Just the shade cloth!

Thanks everyone!
-Ryan

Some of my astros for example:
https://i.imgur.com/Wl4dnuf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2p78lo1.jpg
cactushobbyman

Re: Advice needed: What % shade cloth for Zone 10a? (San Diego)

Post by cactushobbyman »

If you are not looking for custom fit, I bought off the shelf shade cloth at Lowes. Been using it since 2010 and no problems. Problems, not seemed or has eyelets. I have also bought custom size online with seams and eyelets and prefer custom because of the seams and eyelets. I live in Central Valley of California and Lowes is 70/30. My custom order was 70/30 and work fine.
rypasaur

Post by rypasaur »

By 70/30, do you mean it is 30% shade?
I'll go check out Lowes today

Thanks!!
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Easy Gardener 6-ft W Saddle Tan Shade Fabric from Lowes, Maximum Percent Shade Protection is 75, I think it is less, works for me, but the Fresno sun is killer, your area may need less.
dwood5513

Post by dwood5513 »

Another thing you do is buy a grommet maker, completely invaluable. You can also get those at lowe's or home depot.
keith

Post by keith »

I like 50% shade cloth I think its called knitted shade cloth harder to find.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I have been using a product called Aluminet for a few years now. Very durable! You can get it custom with tape and grommets or order bulk. There are several places to get it from. Last piece I got was 30 x 14 feet for less than $100, shipped.

I use 50% shade, but it seems like less than that to me.

This product is made out of woven silver mylar (or some material like that). So instead of just blocking/reflecting/absorbing the sun it, it diffuses the light with the mirrored surfaces. It doesn't fade or degrade. I've had some in the AZ sun for 8 years with no degradation. It will accumulate dust, but what doesn't.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
leland

Post by leland »

I found grommets did not work on the Home depot shade cloth unless I folded the cloth over to make it thicker. Grommets worked well on cloth with sewn hems but these really up the cost. I finally switched over to the black plastic clips which HD also sells and some better ones I found online. It was rated at 75% which worked well for mid-day and afternoon sun in the low desert. If you are in coastal San Diego a lesser cloth might work or just use the 75% and leave the morning sun side open.

Also, tying up one side with rubber shock cords really helps prevent wind damage.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I'm building a new greenhouse, and was not sure what shade cloth to use
I was using regular window screen either single, double or triple layered before

So I Goggled Shade Cloth and found this site:
http://www.shadeclothstore.com/?gclid=C ... MUEALw_wcB

They have it all!
I ordered 40% White knitted Shade Cloth, and it comes with sewn edges and grommets at very low prices.
And the shipping was less than a week
Since my new green house will be really big, I am planning on using different shades in different areas.
I will see how the 40% white works, it may be too glary since it's white or not.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry