Looking for Discocactus

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
purpoh

Looking for Discocactus

Post by purpoh »

Hello!

I'm looking for Discocactus species. I have horstii and areneispinus and am hoping to expand the collection. I would love to get either plants or seeds.
The plants I have to offer are:

Turbinicarpus booleanus
Echinopsis 'Sleeping Beauty"
Haworthia nigra
Duvalia corderoyi
Huernia primulina
Many orchids, hoyas, gesneriads, and carnivorous plants if you are looking for something specific

I would also be willing to purchase rather than trade! Please send me a message if you are interested :D
DaveW

Re: Looking for Discocactus

Post by DaveW »

It's best if you put your country in your avatar since due to CITES it is legally very difficult for amateurs to send cactus plants across national borders since the paperwork is expensive and most amateurs cannot obtain it anyway. You can take the risk and send cacti illegally through the post and hope the Customs don't confiscate them, or worse fine you. However most dealers now will not risk their businesses sending plants abroad and do not want the yearly expense of getting CITES Registered and providing the required documentation, plus few amateurs would want to pay for it because it often costs more than the plants you would be importing.

All Discocactus, as you will see from the link below are on appendix 1

"Appendix I lists species that are the most endangered among CITES-listed animals and plants. These are threatened with extinction and CITES generally prohibits commercial international trade in specimens of these species. However trade may be allowed under exceptional circumstances, e.g. for scientific research. In these cases, trade may be authorized by the granting of both an export permit (or re-export certificate) and an import permit.)"

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... _cites.htm

Seed is OK since that goes pretty freely across borders and probably a few Continental or E. European firms may list them. Payment in foreign currencies these days is usually fairly easy using PayPal, which most will now take.

Look in the links on Cactus Mall for seed merchants and see if they have any.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/seeds.html

If anybody knows any others I am sure they will tell you.