End of an era.

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
DaveW

End of an era.

Post by DaveW »

End of an era, although I used film for 30 odd years I must admit I feel much more at home with digital.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... amera.html

Note the first Canon lenses were Nikkor's made by Nikon since at that time Canon only made cameras and Nikon only made lenses, later they each made both.
saboten

Re: End of an era.

Post by saboten »

This was very interesting to read! It says they stopped making them 8 years ago, but were just selling old stock. I don't really know how quickly these types of things are supposed to sell, but it sounds like sales must have quite, quite slow.

I'm sort of surprised, as I know a lot of young people are really interested in analog media again, at least in the audio realm. Young musicians eat up some of the old 3M tape and reel-to-reels my dad had around our house and put for sale. However, it must not be the same in the land of photos? Perhaps because it is easier to sort of get the 'feeling' of film what with all the filters that are out there?

As for me, I'm young enough that most of my camera use in life has been on digital. I do remember, however, the first time I tried one, the confusedly excited feeling of the idea of infinite chances to take a photo.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I suppose the point is who needs to buy a top of the range film camera in recent times when there are loads of high quality former top of the range film cameras secondhand now going for peanuts on EBAY as most change to digital. There is enough secondhand equipment after all those decades of film photography being dumped cheaply to keep film photographers going for decades. The problem may be getting the film in future rather than a film camera.

The advantage of a film camera over digital was that the oldest camera of the same format took the latest film, so I used a Nikon F2 for 35 years. With digital you cannot change the sensor, so after a time newer technology you cannot use in your camera overtakes it. Plus with modern film and digital cameras there was so much reliance on LCD's, which do fail after a time and the spares may not be available. I had to junk a reasonably expensive digital watch because part of the LCD display failed after about 6 years.

In the days of film cameras like the Leica's they would be passed down through the family for a generation or so since they still took the latest film. You cannot update a digital camera to the latest technology since it has a fixed sensor.
7george

Post by 7george »

So everything around cameras is intended to boost the economy and speed up the progress of technology. Well, 6 years now is a quite long term, some people change phones and cameras every year, for better ones usually. Processing films and following digitalization of images could take a whole eternity compared with one finger sharing or uploading of photos. Not many people are so patient these days.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Also the "Swiss Army Knife" of modern technology, the Smartphone is tending to take over the functions of many previous stand alone devices, such as cameras, watches, and personal organisers, even SatNavs (what ever happened to the Filofax and dedicated music players?) since for 90% of the population the Smartphone now does all they need.

Eventually stills and video cameras will merge, as they are tending to with video being introduced to stills cameras. Then when video quality is good enough stills will simply be single shots taken from a video sequence. The line between video and stills started blurring when motordrives were introduced to stills cameras.