cacti in shade

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
maurozzz

cacti in shade

Post by maurozzz »

Hello all!

I have a quick question if somebody could answer me. I have an area in my house that doesn't get direct sun. It might get direct sun for maybe 2 hours or less of the day then it's in the shade. I'd like to plant some more cacti there but want to know if anybody knows what cacti does good in minimal sun. I'd hate to plant something there only for it to grow weird and skinny etiolated.

Thanks in advanced!!!
ElieEstephane

Re: cacti in shade

Post by ElieEstephane »

I don't have much experience here but you can look into some aloes, euphorbias (lactea, trigona and trigona rubra, neriifolia, candelabra..), some gymnocalycium species, haworthias, echinopsis subdenudata, jungle cacti like epiphyllums, dragon fruit...
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
maurozzz

Post by maurozzz »

ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:53 pm I don't have much experience here but you can look into some aloes, euphorbias (lactea, trigona and trigona rubra, neriifolia, candelabra..), some gymnocalycium species, haworthias, echinopsis subdenudata, jungle cacti like epiphyllums, dragon fruit...
Thank you!!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Jungle cacti would love the shade, but even a few hours of sun I have noticed that already stressed mine, so if you have a choice with jungle cacti, aim for a bright to full shade, no sun. Haworthias definitely, they do not love the sun, also alworthia, some variegated cacti actually are better in bright shade than in the sun, as my Opuntia monacantha variegata, you can also do your own search for species that grow under bushes, so they are shaded in their habitat. Best of luck with your choices!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb