Rooting Obregonia denegrii

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Salazar

Rooting Obregonia denegrii

Post by Salazar »

I got this plant out of it's pot and saw that it barely had any roots and also root mealybugs. I've cleaned off the old mix and got rid of the mealybugs and potted it in pure mineral mix. I was wondering what kind of treatment, like watering and sunlight requierments, should I give this plant to help it regrow its roots.
Thanks!
hegar

Re: Rooting Obregonia denegrii

Post by hegar »

Well, I am not sure, that my answer to your question is the best one, but I shall try anyway. I do hope, that Obregonia denegrii is one of the cacti, which will form roots easily, after it has lost them. Perhaps another forum member will have experience with this,.
First of all, I would have applied some rooting hormone to the base of your plant. I am still using some with the brand name "Rootone"". This powder does have also a fungicide added, which helps to prevent the establishment of fungal organisms, when planting a cutting that has been freshly cut.
You can also use other rooting hormones like Clonex or other brands. These hormones induce and speed up the formation of roots. For some kinds of cuttings, only their application will lead to success. Fortunately, however, most cacti will root without them though.
As far as watering is concerned, I would keep the soil slightly moist, but not soggy. Because the plant will not have fully functioning roots for some time, keeping the growing medium too moist would likely result in the rotting of the base.
With the light I would also be careful. Filtered light would probably be best. Solar radiation does heat up the plant's epidermis and increases evapotranspiration. Without the roots, the moisture loss will be faster than in a healthy, rooted cactus. However, your plant should have enough light, so it will not etiolate.
As far as your cactus is concerned, I do not feel very qualified to give you valid advice. I have tried to grow Obregonia denegrii in the past and did lose the plant due to root rot, which became evident early in the spring, when the ground became warm. In my opinion, these plants are a little finicky, when exposed to moist, cool soil. I am experiencing the same problem with some members of the genus Ariocarpus.
Do you have your cacti in the ground and if so, where are you located?

Harald
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

Thank you Harald for the response.
My plant is small, around 3cm in diameter and it's planted in a pot.
I live in the Philippines.
arnia

Post by arnia »

Hey, it's been a while since you posted but did you get the plant recovered? Hope all is well.
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

Yes, I did manage to get it to root and it's been growing very well since, also I haven't logged in for sometime so...😅