How to resize your photos BEFORE posting

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ElieEstephane

How to resize your photos BEFORE posting

Post by ElieEstephane »

For all of you new comers here having trouble adding pictures to your post, resize your photos to 1024x768 using one of these programs:
Windows OS: "faststone photo resizer" is very good photo resizing program with bulk capability.
Download link

Android OS: "Photo & picture resizer" is one of the best app for android. Your can resize several photos with the blink of an eye.
Link to play store

iOS: "Image size" is one of the best apps.
Link to app store

If anyone wants to suggest other programs, feel free to do so.
samreu

Re: How to resize your photos BEFORE posting

Post by samreu »

In Windows 7 and later, "Paint" is included as an editor. Pull your picture up and right click on the picture and open it with paint where you can quickly resize and reorient your pics - and then save them as a new file. It was called paintbrush before Win 7- I am most familiar and use paint.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Good suggestion!
The reason i selected these programs is that they have batch capabilities which means you can resize up to 100s of photos all at once.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you Elie for the links! Very useful
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

deleted over picture repeats
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

In Windows 8.1 it's called MSPAINT ... Included as part of the operating system, it is free. And thus the ONLY reason I make this post at all. If you have questions, you may ask me, and I'll do the best I can.
Press the Windows Command Key (picture below), hold it down and press "R" (for run). When the dialogue box opens, type "MSPAINT" and press enter. Or, you may just click on your photo (depending on how your system is configured, and with what software you have) to bring it up in MSPAINT.
WCK.jpg
WCK.jpg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 271487 times

On the HOME tab there is an option for "Resize" ... click on the "Resize" option,
Resize 1.jpg
Resize 1.jpg (11.61 KiB) Viewed 271487 times

click on the "By Pixels" radio button
Resize 2.jpg
Resize 2.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 271487 times

and enter the size desired where the red arrows indicate. Depending on the aspect ratio of your picture you may only have to enter the pictures "Horizontal" value. You MAY have to uncheck the box indicated by the blue arrow in order to get exactly 1024x768 (the largest file dimensions that the Cacti Guide Forum will accept) which may DRASTICALLY change your pictures aspect ratio. I find it best to only enter the picture "Horizontal" value (top red arrow) and allow the pictures "Vertical" value to automatically change. Press OK (green arrow). Your picture is now resized.
Resize 3.jpg
Resize 3.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 271487 times

Save your picture ... by clicking on File and then Save
File Save.jpg
File Save.jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 271487 times

and exit from MSPAINT by clicking on File and then Exit.
file exit.jpg
file exit.jpg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 271487 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:37 pm In Windows 8.1 it's called MSPAINT ... Included as part of the operating system, it is free. And thus the ONLY reason I make this post at all. If you have questions, you may ask me, and I'll do the best I can.
Press the Windows Command Key (picture below), hold it down and press "R" (for run). When the dialogue box opens, type "MSPAINT" and press enter. Or, you may just click on your photo (depending on how your system is configured, and with what software you have) to bring it up in MSPAINT.
WCK.jpeg
On the HOME tab there is an option for "Resize" ... in that option,
Resize 1.jpg
choose the "By Pixels" radio button
Resize 2.jpg
and enter the size desired where the red arrows indicate. Depending on the aspect ratio of your picture you may only have to enter the pictures width. You MAY have to uncheck the box indicated by the blue arrow in order to get exactly 1024x768 which may DRASTICALLY change your pictures aspect ratio. I find it best to only enter the picture width (top red arrow) and allow the pictures height to automatically change. Press OK (green arrow), save your picture (assumes you have SOME windows ability) and exit. Your picture is now resized.
Resize 3.jpg
Do you resize every photo seperately?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

MSPAINT is free, it comes with the operating system. That's the only reason I posted that entry above. And MSPAINT will only allow you to do one picture at a time. To do them in a batch you'll have to download something free off the internet. Like your suggestion "fastone photo resizer". But many people are not very computer literate and i was trying to provide some quick and easy help for those that are not. MSPAINT is not very fancy, and only allows one picture at a time, but it does work.

And I, me personally, do most of my work on my tablet, and therefore use the same app from your suggestion from the Google Play Store, photoresizer. It's a good app. It doesn't do much except the resizing and cropping of pictures, but it does it quickly and without any real effort. Too bad it's not available for the Windows operating system.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

All of the pictures from my original posting on this subject are now broken links. The pictures are gone.
7george

Post by 7george »

The point of attaching files to this forum is the assumption that those will be longer (or always) available and visible at the post. Otherwise is better to select another image-hosting service and just show the links to you photos... And that constant compromising between image size and quality will be solved. Anyway, we will see how it is go at the new forum place. [-(

the same, attached file
the same, attached file
Aloe sinkatana 1024px.jpg (197.81 KiB) Viewed 272044 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:40 am... the assumption that those will be longer (or always) available and visible at the post. Otherwise is better to select another image-hosting service and just show the links to you photos... And that constant compromising between image size and quality will be solved.
I assume that this posting was in response to mine stating that the pictures from my post had gone away. The posting that I was talking about was very recent, only a day or two old.

I never thought about it before, but I guess I agree with your suggestion about storing the pictures externally to this system. That way no one has to worry about picture sizes or this system's capacity to store them. Do you have a suggestion for any particular service to use? Is one any more reliable than another? Or easier to use?
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

With many digital cameras they used to provide a CD containing some basic photo editing software. I don't know if they still supply them with this?
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DaveW wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm ... they used to provide a CD containing some basic photo editing software...

Its been several years since I bought my FujiFilm S4500... and the only software that came with it was software that copied pictures from the camera to the computer. I know that vendors used to provide basic picture editing software, but it's been quite some time since I have seen anybody do so. It's just too expensive a proposition for them. Especially if they can provide just a little text that is instruction on how to use somebody else's or existing software.

The only reason i made my post about MSPAINT was to provide basic easy instructions (there are still lots of people out there that don't have the ability to look for, download, and then install new software... basically, computer illiterate) for software that people probably already have if they use WINDOWS...

I did not mean to imply that the software that other people here have recommended is not appropriate. The recommendations that they have made are actually better software than MSPAINT. But you but you do need to have some basic computer skills to locate download and install new software. As long as you do have those basic skills then those other pieces of software are better choices. But if you don't then you need some piece of software to do it. And MSPAINT is free...
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Oops
Joe

Zone 5a/5b