How to resize your photos BEFORE posting

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
pone

Re: How to resize your photos BEFORE posting

Post by pone »

7george wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:12 am As I mentioned above one can upload photos onto other web service and post here links.
Even large photos are resized after posting.
"Free" forum web-space is being paid by someone after all.
I never argued with the need to save space. My argument was about user interface. If the board software has the intelligence to resize your photo and increase its compression, then why the requirement to limit uploads to 500kb? Upload the 3MB image and the board software should be able to resize it to < 500kb and then delete the original. And if the automation is unable to do this because of a technical problem, then kick back an error message to the user.
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm For all of you new comers here having trouble adding pictures to your post, resize your photos to 1024x768 using one of these programs:
Windows OS: "faststone photo resizer" is very good photo resizing program with bulk capability.
Download link

Android OS: "Photo & picture resizer" is one of the best app for android. Your can resize several photos with the blink of an eye.
Link to play store

iOS: "Image size" is one of the best apps.
Link to app store

If anyone wants to suggest other programs, feel free to do so.
Hello Elie,

I downloaded the Android version, but even though I can get the 1024x768 size, the kbs are too large! If I get the correct kbs, the crop is too large?!

Can anyone advise me please?
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

PlantCrazy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:05 pm I downloaded the Android version, but even though I can get the 1024x768 size, the kbs are too large! If I get the correct kbs, the crop is too large?!

When you resized the photo, choose the preset Width x Height 768 x 1024 option. It will automatically resized the photo. Most of the time, the photo should be less than 300kbs.
The Resized photo is saved into the PhotoResizer folder, not the original photo folder, unless you choose to Replace the original photo.
You don't need to Crop the photo.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

BryanT wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:01 pm
PlantCrazy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:05 pm I downloaded the Android version, but even though I can get the 1024x768 size, the kbs are too large! If I get the correct kbs, the crop is too large?!

When you resized the photo, choose the preset Width x Height 768 x 1024 option. It will automatically resized the photo. Most of the time, the photo should be less than 300kbs.
The Resized photo is saved into the PhotoResizer folder, not the original photo folder, unless you choose to Replace the original photo.
You don't need to Crop the photo.
Okay Bryan, I'll give that a go. Thank you.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

PlantCrazy: another option is to use https://picresize.com/ or similar free photo resizers. I upload the photo from my hard drive and then resize to a max of 500 kb. You then need to download it back to your computer. The filename will start with rsz to denote it has been resized.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

jerrytheplater wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:07 pm PlantCrazy: another option is to use https://picresize.com/ or similar free photo resizers. I upload the photo from my hard drive and then resize to a max of 500 kb. You then need to download it back to your computer. The filename will start with rsz to denote it has been resized.
I'm really sorry, but I just saw this now.
I'm having problems with the other one so I will uninstall it and download this one.

Thank you very much Jerry.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

PlantCrazy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:56 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:07 pm PlantCrazy: another option is to use https://picresize.com/ or similar free photo resizers. I upload the photo from my hard drive and then resize to a max of 500 kb. You then need to download it back to your computer. The filename will start with rsz to denote it has been resized.
I'm having problems with the other one so I will uninstall it and download this one.

You don't need to download Picresize. You just use it online. You need to download each photo you resize within a short period of time or it will be deleted and you'll have to do it all over again.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:11 am

You don't need to download Picresize. You just use it online. You need to download each photo you resize within a short period of time or it will be deleted and you'll have to do it all over again.
It worked! :D

Thank you again.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

PlantCrazy wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:46 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:11 am

It worked! :D

Thank you again.
Great!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

For those who use an Apple laptop or similar: With XnConvert you can convert many pictures from HEIF to JPG and / or resize them in one go. You just have to drag & drop the pictures into the window of the software.
For those who use some Unix: XnConvert is also available.
On Windows as well as Unix IrfanView should also be a good & easy choice converting directly without up- & downloading. It also has a batch mode to resize eg all pictures in a directory / folder.
All that software is freeware, hooray!
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

nachtkrabb wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:20 pm For those who use an Apple laptop or similar: With XnConvert you can convert many pictures from HEIF to JPG and / or resize them in one go. You just have to drag & drop the pictures into the window of the software.
For those who use some Unix: XnConvert is also available.
On Windows as well as Unix IrfanView should also be a good & easy choice converting directly without up- & downloading. It also has a batch mode to resize eg all pictures in a directory / folder.
All that software is freeware, hooray!
N.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:29 pm
nachtkrabb wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:20 pm
(thumbs up)
Thank you very much, Tom. I am proud to have earned that. :D
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.