Cactus garden in zone 9a

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Clorophyll

Cactus garden in zone 9a

Post by Clorophyll »

Hi,I'm new in this forum. I live in italy, in zone 9a, I' d like to create a cacti garden and I have chosen the following species of cacti:
Echinocereus triglochidiatus
Echinocereus morricalii
Opuntia humifusa
Opuntia imbricata
Opuntia leptocaulis
Opuntia ellissiana
Opuntia linguiformis
Cereus peruvianus
Trichocereus spachianus
Trichocereus pachanoi
Trichocereus bridgesii
Trichocereus candicans
Echinocactus grusonii
Opuntia ficus indica
Echinopsis eyriesii
Harrisia Jusbertii
Opuntia macrocentra
Opuntia robusta
Trichocereus pasacana
can you tell me if this species are resistant in my zone without protections.
Thank you.
ps: the minimum temperature last winter was 20F.
ElieEstephane

Re: Cactus garden in zone 9a

Post by ElieEstephane »

Haven't had experience with most of those and most of my cacti grow outside but sheltered from rain. You live in italy so your weather is close to ours. Your safest bet would be opuntia ficus indica, agave americana, agave desmettiana, agave attenuata (although not sure it could handle 20F but can handle the winter rain), sedums, sempervivums, golden barrel, hylocereus undatus, euphorbia candelabrum, cereus peruvianus, stenocereus marginatus, opuntia humifusa... these can stand the winter rain here (most are at low altitude)
However, it all comes down to your soil and how much precipitation occurs in winter. A raised bed is a good idea
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Also austrocylindropuntia subulata and the monstrose form, opuntia engelmannii, eiphyllum oxypetalum, aeonium, crassula ovata, aloe vera, aloe arborescens, carpobrotus, yucca, aloe nobilis
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Clorophyll

Post by Clorophyll »

Thank you so much!!
So i'll try to grow also hylocereus.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

You can give us more context. Is the garden gonna be in the ground or on a roof or something similar? How much precipitation do you get? Is hail a problem?
There's also euphorbia neriifolia
Clorophyll

Post by Clorophyll »

My zone is very rainy and windy, in winter usually we have snowfalls. The garden is in the ground in full sun.
i have seen a lot of Trichocereus schickendantzii in this zone and all are planted in the ground.
I love san pedro cactus, I hope it will survive here.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

If you want to plant in the ground it's a good idea to mound the cacti you wanna plant. That means sort of making a small hill of free draining material and planting the cacti, or making a raised bed of free draining material. If you want to plant directly in the ground, dig a hole at least 3-4 times larger than the root ball and fill it with a fast draining medium.
San pedro cactus...not a good idea IMO. My grandfather had a large one until most of it was chopped away one night. They think the San Pedro has magical properties...such a shame. So if you don't want to risk someone stealing your cactus, stay away from San Pedro.
Check this out btw:
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6441
http://www.bennyskaktus.dk/myplants_UK.htm
Clorophyll

Post by Clorophyll »

thank you!!
very useful link, there are a lot of beautiful hardy cactus species.
good idea the raised bed !!
hegar

Post by hegar »

I do live in an area, which regularly has temperatures drop to around 20 degrees F. However, we do not receive very much rainfall (average 200 mm per year) and the low temperature usually lasts only part of the night.
Most likely, a lot of the plants in my yard will also grow where you live. I have had pretty good success with a number of Echinocereus species, e.g. E. coccineus, E. triglochidiatus, E. fendleri, E. reichenbachii, E. chloranthus, E. pentalophus, etc.. With a cover over them, whenever the temperature drops into the low 20 degree Fahrenheit range, Echinopsis eyriesii does really well too. Some of the Ferocactus species may also grow well, as may a number of Thelocacti. A lot of the Opuntia and Cylindropuntia cacti could also be planted and perhaps Tephrocacti too.
It is difficult to make good suggestions, because your climate is not the same as the one I do have.
One thing is important though: Most cacti do not like "wet feet". So it is a good idea, to plant the most moisture sensitive plants on a slope and place them in a gravelly growing medium (coarse sand and small to medium pebbles). That would help with the drainage. You could also protect the plants from too much rain by planting them under a roof overhang or placing a cover over them.

Harald
Clorophyll

Post by Clorophyll »

Hi,thank you.
I want to make my soil more draining , my space for cactus is 5m^2 and 55cm deep . how much sand , pumice and gravel I should add to the soil?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

60-65% drainimg material in a raised bed is optimal. As for me i don't like to use fine sand. It tends too hold too much water for my taste.
55cm is deeper than necessary unless you plan to add some large fast growing columnars
And please update us on your progress with pictures :D
Clorophyll

Post by Clorophyll »

Sure!!
I have already 100L of pumice and 66L of lapilli and 100kg of sand(1.4-3mm).
I start my work in march.
P.s i added also 80 kg of gravel but the soil is still heavy and compact.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Clorophyll wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:48 am Sure!!
I have already 100L of pumice and 66L of lapilli and 100kg of sand(1.4-3mm).
I start my work in march.
P.s i added also 80 kg of gravel but the soil is still heavy and compact.
What kind of gravel? Is it limestone? If yes that's no good.
You can add some compost too
Clorophyll

Post by Clorophyll »

Hello,
Today is a very snowy and cold day, the temperature is 26F, my cacti are covered in snow . Before this day my cactus had a normal consistency but now they are very rigid Like they're frozen.
Is it normal or a problem ?
Thank you.
7george

Post by 7george »

If cacti are not dehydrated and dry during the cold season this might be a problem. Not so many species are able to stay changing cold/warm, wet or snowy periods. You will see what is the result in several weeks when real spring comes.
I'm in doubt about your south American cacti -- think -6 C is about the limit of their cold hardiness.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8