This site eating up anybody else's cpu?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Shane

This site eating up anybody else's cpu?

Post by Shane »

Recently browser tabs of this site have been eating up disproportionate amounts of processing power (often close to 100%) for no apparent reason. I've seen this happen before with pages with lots of videos/ ads, but never a mostly text site like cactiguide. My antivirus also keeps telling me the site is trying to give me a virus. Is this happening to anyone else?
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
stefan m.

Re: This site eating up anybody else's cpu?

Post by stefan m. »

Once or twice the virus thing. Think its that bitcoin miner thing on the net.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Im using an android phone and the samsung browser is having lots of problems with cactiguide. Chrome seems to run efficiently but eats up a lot of battery.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

No problem with CactiGuide or BCSS Forums. I am still using a desktop computer with Internet Explorer and Google with Windows 10, rather than a modern browser like Edge, Chrome or Firefox etc since I hate a an elaborate cluttered screen telling me about things I don't want to know, or trying to sell me things. I am not a multitasker so prefer only one thing on the screen at once. However Explorer does really slow down on newspaper sites full of adverts and self starting video's (something else I hate) which modern browsers seem designed for. I also get "long running script messages" on newspaper sites.
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

My antivirus always goes wild here. I never stay on too long.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Problems with antivirus, as well as removing threats they can sometimes throw up false positives.

https://www.howtogeek.com/180162/how-to ... -positive/
7george

Post by 7george »

DaveW wrote:No problem with CactiGuide or BCSS Forums. I am still using a desktop computer with Internet Explorer and Google with Windows 10, rather than a modern browser like Edge, Chrome or Firefox etc since I hate a an elaborate cluttered screen telling me about things I don't want to know, or trying to sell me things. I am not a multitasker so prefer only one thing on the screen at once. However Explorer does really slow down on newspaper sites full of adverts and self starting video's (something else I hate) which modern browsers seem designed for. I also get "long running script messages" on newspaper sites.
I'm using mainly Firefox with add-on uBlock and just the forum is on my screen. No anti-virus is needed with Linux so everything is smooth and fast. Don't blame the Forum, guys.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8