Cactus contest 86: Cactus collections

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
DaveW

Re: Cactus contest 86: Cactus collections

Post by DaveW »

Your right, that was quite a few years ago though when I removed it due to the ants.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Not often, but some days you're home to see the one day show and not have to work, or take a sick day. :lol:

11.jpg
11.jpg (193.59 KiB) Viewed 13795 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (162.4 KiB) Viewed 13795 times

8)
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Aaaaand we have a winner. Not seeing anybody topping that anytime soon.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yess definitely! Amazing!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes spectacular and a winner, even though personally I am not a fan of hybrid cacti, but Echinopsis hybrids along with Epiphyllum hybrids do produce some outstanding flowers. I presume a lot of them are Schick hybrids?

http://www.huntington.org/botanicaldiv/ ... index.html
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The outside garden blooming are mostly Echinopsis oxygona and Paramount green gold and in the background a E. Epic. The original plant I received some 20 years ago and lives through the cold wet winters, when it rains, and the 100+ degrees in summer. I planted them, they survived and as a bonus, flowers. Since then I have learned about E. hybrids and members of our local cactus club have given me many older plants they didn't want. So in the greenhouse I have Schick, Dimmitt, Johnson, Paramount and others. I have been adding more hybrids to the outside garden but need more attention to the hybrids sun burning. Echinopsis do well and not burn in our hot summers like spachiana and pachanoi, but the Schick and others seem to need more shade. My Trichocereus Flying saucer and First light hybrids are starting their second season in the outside garden and expect them to join in in the flowering.

a.jpg
a.jpg (112.3 KiB) Viewed 13756 times

8)
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DaveW wrote:and a 5ft Trichocereus pasacana.
did you grow that from seed? A collector here has an echinopsis atacamensis he grew from seed in '99 and it's only 5-6ft now. It's quite fat though. Stem diameter is around 12"
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

No my friend did though, but his greenhouse is only just over 6ft to the ridge, so as mine is 9ft to the ridge I got given it. If you cannot grow big plants outside in climates like the UK tall or rampant growing plants often become an embarrassment since few have greenhouse room for them.