Weird fruit

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
stefan m.

Weird fruit

Post by stefan m. »

We (almost) all know how popular some cactus fruit is(mammiliaria berries, ferocactus pineapples,dragon fruit, peruvian apple, various opuntias, eulychinia, stenocereus, myrtillocactus etc..) .
However, i would like to ask you regarding the fruits and their taste of these plant genus-es provided if you tried them
-Harrisia
-Selenicereus
-Trichocereus
-Maihuenia
-Pereskia
-Disocactus and Epihpylum
-Echinocereus(except engelmanii)
-Cylindropunitia
-Haegocereus
-Pachycereus
leland

Re: Weird fruit

Post by leland »

P. bleo grows readily but is bitter
Epiphylums (Hookeri and others) have big seeds and sticky flesh. Most of the time even the birds won't eat them, especially if hylocereus is available.
I tried feeding ficus indica fruit to the chickens by cutting it in half. They seemed to not like the texture. If I dried it first they might peck out the seeds.
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Has anyone tried the fruit of Opuntia vulgaris? I have only tasted the Opuntia indica tunas, which I love, but not the vulgaris as of yet. The tunas are smaller and darker in color.
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DesertSun wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 am Has anyone tried the fruit of Opuntia vulgaris? I have only tasted the Opuntia indica tunas, which I love, but not the vulgaris as of yet. The tunas are smaller and darker in color.
Yes opuntia ficus indica is delicious! In sunmer ineat at least 5 per day 😍
However, i believe all opuntia fruits are edible. It's a matter of how much flesh the fruit has and the size of the seeds
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

I love them too Elie! I am thinking of try and making some jam with them also. I will share the result when I do. :P
I will get me one Vulgaris I think, she doesn't have the glochids that make other Opuntias so annoying.
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Glochids are easy to deal with. Hold the fruit with a fork,Cl cut the top and bottom, and cut it lengthwise and open thr skin with the knife. They are best very cold!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

I saw a guy in youtube who was scorching it with a torch. I think I'm going to try his way, I never seem to get rid of all the glochids.
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

The vendors usually have a large tub of water that they use to remove the glochids. No idea how that's done though 😂 i usually buy in bulk and don't let them wash them as it will reduce shelf life.
They're best when they had just turned yellow