Trichocereus hybrids

Create seed of your own
Briguytm

Trichocereus hybrids

Post by Briguytm »

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to cross Trichocereus and Echinopsis? I know they are considered the same genus now. Spisifically I have a Juul's Giant Panchanoi that's at flowering age now and also a couple different varieties of Echinopsis Hybrids. Do you think I'd have any luck crossing them or do they have to be the same spieces?
stefan m.

Re: Trichocereus hybrids

Post by stefan m. »

I would love to see a hybrid between a oxygona and a pachanoi, or a pascana and chaecerreus, or even between gymnocalycium and rebutia.
But as luck would have it , we wont get to see stuff like that unless someone is willing to do a lot of research, experimentation, trial and error, gathering and sharing results etc, Iknow for a fact that inter genus hybrids exists among trihocereus, lobivia, cleistocactus, echinopsis , acanthocaylcium , haegocereus , espotoa and rauhocereus and other trihocereae members as well.
It could be possible, but would require work.
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

Also this may seem like a stupid question but can plants that are cuttings from the same plant cross pollinate each other?
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

Yes, there already are hybrids between lobivia, trichocereus and echinopsis. These are all considered echinopsis species by some workers as it is. You might be hard pressed to identify a definitive cross as being between two specific species as most people dont record which plants were used. It is often obvious just looking at a plant that a tricho was used in the case of some tall hybrids for example.

Cuttings from the same plant are vegetative clones and so if the plant is self sterile then no they will not be able to cross pollinate.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I think I actually tried that out with disocactus and failed. I second cactidan's assertion.